Are You Planning to Continue to Work Until Your Retirement Age: 66, 67, 70?

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Von Jones, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Jennifer Graves here is another Filipino oldtimer in the US. My husband's uncle who bought a retirement house in a resort city here called Tagaytay. He was working in LA's architectural group and just resigned at age 82 because his wife had wanted that retirement house built so that uncle came over and supervised the construction. He is still strong at 84 now and really regretted that he resigned. His wife died last year and now he is back in America for a vacation but maybe he would be looking for a job. By the way, he is an architect here and his works there as an Estimator.

2. Angel J More

Angel J More New Member
    Registered

I
    I think it depends on a person's definition of "work" and "retirement age". For me, "work" is already a way of life that enables me to be involved in productive endeavors. "Retirement age" is the day I will die.
    Thus, even if I just availed of early retirement from my most recent employer, I will still continue to be productive through a small business I will soon put up. Doing my share in community and/or church services is also part of my plan in the near future.
    I hope and pray that my "retirement age" does not happen soon.

3. Avigail David

Avigail David Well-Known Member
    Registered

I foresee myself very busy in the workforce as employed at that age (70) For 28 years, I'd like a change in my world when my children get older. Retirement is not a looking-forward-to for me. My husband would be facing his in 10 years time. But I hope he still would want to continue working-- to keep fit and productive.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Last week I was beset with an overload of stress such that I was thinking of an early retirement - I am now eligible for that since 50 is the minimum age when you can get your retirement pay free of tax. But then I got to think it over, what to do after my career in the office? I might be more stressed at home doing nothing.

So that gets me thinking of what I really want to do when I finally retire, that's 8 years from now. Another job is not an option unless I would be hired as consultant which is a remote possibility. Over here, a retired person has very little chances of finding a job so the retirement pay is very important. Most of the retirees put up small businesses like selling for the occupation and not for the income.

Avigail David likes this.
  5. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Well-Known Member
    Registered

As long as I keep being alive and healthy enough to keep going on, I have never considered to retire any time, but to keep working until the end of my days, with the grace of God ;)

Avigail David and Corie Henson like this.
  6. Linda Mansfield

Linda Mansfield New Member
    Registered

I was one of the lucky people who could retire at 60 before UK pension age was extended. It was a stroke of luck because at that time I had to take on custody of my granddaughter which would have been difficult if I had still been working. She was 4 at the time and not even at school.

I actually thought I would be bored once I retired but in fact it has been the complete opposite and I often wonder how I fitted work in! Bringing up a child again in my sixties is challenging to say the least but we are doing ok and I can honestly say my days are full.

7. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Active Member
    Registered

I took some time off for a while for health issues. But my husband and I weren't prepared for the loss of money. Now that I have my issues under control I am back to work, and probably will be for a very long time! :(

8. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wife and I both waited until we reached our full retirement age... 66... to begin drawing social security. Waiting allowed us to continue working and not have limits on how much we could make. We are both still working full time. I'm 69 and she's 68.
    We both enjoy our work. My firm continues to not want to entertain any thought of my retiring. They have been extremely good to me. I can work one or two projects that cover 6 to 7 months/year and make way more than working a part time "senior" job locally. Will be finishing up a project in the next few weeks. They want me to commit to one more that is slated to begin April/May 2016 and conclude June/July 2017. I've told them we are setting April 15th as a "deadline". If the project has kicked off by then, I'll build it. The client has asked for me personally since I was on a project at their facility a couple years ago. If by April 15th the project is delayed... I'll pack it in and become "fully retired". Of course, I don't do well sitting in the recliner so would find something to keep me busy in addition to my daily 18 holes of golf!

Lara Moss likes this.
  9. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Well-Known Member
    Registered

WORK is a 4 letter word!!! 2122.gif

Ike Willis likes this.
  10. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Well-Known Member
    Registered

I started a second family when I was in my thirties, so I still have a teenaged son. I stayed home for 20 years to raise that family, so I won't receive much from SS. I will definitely wait until full benefit age, and then continue to work part time. I can't just sit around and do nothing anyway. I prefer to work some, but I will be glad to be able to cut back on my work schedule.