Are You Glad That Your Childhood Happened Before Technology Took Over?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Are you glad that your childhood happened before technology took over, or do you feel that you were left out?

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I'm glad that I lived way back then. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I'm also glad that I live now. It's been an interesting ride to see what's come about during my time here.

We never even had a phone until 1968. Now I have 4 in my house. That doesn't include cell phones. How did we ever get by without them? We only had 1 car for the whole family. Now every member of the family has a car and I have a truck, just in case.

So, yes, I'm glad that I lived way back then but would I give up my technology now? Nope.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Abso..bloomin'...lootly

4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I've thought about this quite a few times. There are pros and cons both ways. I think I would've enjoyed texting and instagramming, not sure about Facebook and my parents knowing all my 'stuff'. Having so much online information about the world would've been wonderful. I may have made entirely difference choices. So, it becomes looping thoughts of yes and no.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm glad I grew up when I did. I absolutely loved my childhood. And can you imagine... we only had ONE bathroom in our house!!! :eek: And a party-line telephone. And mama hung laundry on the clothesline. Oh... and those three snowy TV channels that signed off at midnight. Those were the days!

6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember party lines. I picked up the phone one day and there was a man and woman talking who were having an affair. :eek: They were being quite amorous. :D Of course, I quickly hung the phone up. ;)

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

SURE you did!!! :p I had my grandma on ours. It was the most boring party line ever!
    @Beth Gallagher My childhood had all those things as well. I don't ever remember feeling unhappy or discontented. I guess none of us knew the difference. The only thing I look back on and wonder how we did it.........was no air conditioning in school. Just those big windows, lots of smelly kids and a fan on a stand. The teachers must've been miserable.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, imagine those poor teachers wearing dresses, girdles and stockings with no a/c.

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Wouldn't want to be a youngster today eaten up by technology, give me the beauty that surrounds us

Ken Anderson and Lois Winters like this.
  10. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I loved playing outdoor and exploring my world. I cannot imagine my being glued to any kind of screen indoors except for the occasional Saturday afternoon movie. We made up all sorts of games, had fun skating and biking.

11. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yea, sad to see those stuck in a rut today

Bess Barber and Lois Winters like this.
  12. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Not only do I not use a Cellular Telephone, but I even preferred the Rotary dialing phones !

Harry

13. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

They ARE fun to dial!!! Just something about watching it spin back around and the sound it makes. It almost makes me want to get one just for fun.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. William DeFox

William DeFox Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We tend not to miss what we never had or experienced. My parents for most of my upbringing had but one television set and one phone in their house. You usually watched what your parents wanted to see on TV except for those off hours. The phone was centrally located, and any calls in or out were listened to by my mother, so privacy was zero. There was no air conditioning in the summer. Many kids today have their own phones, their own televisions, and can't imagine a world without air conditioning everywhere, but it was my "normal" and I didn't think myself deprived at the time. As times and technology have changed, expectations have drastically escalated, and many alive today could ill tolerate living in a simpler world...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I am glad and no, I don't feel left out. There are indeed exceptional changes that technology has brought into our lives over my lifetime that I appreciate but on the other side of the coin some that I feel takes away our 'common sense' in an effort to adapt to new technology. It's this reason I continue to have analog clocks with numbers or Roman numerals or lines or dots on the face.

Past thoughts of how it must have been before when our ancestors used the direction of the sun to tell time before analog clocks were invented. Didn't they use sundials too? I would like to learn how to read a sundial maybe I will find one during my never ending treasure searches.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Ken Anderson likes this.