Are You Eating Healthy?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Craig Wilson, May 11, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As has been previously explained several times, @Hal Pollner , either Ken or I will happily edit your post if you ask one of us to do so. The reason for the short editing time is because of people writing a post and then deleting it after other people have read and responded to their post.

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne, I know you have explained it many times before, but I will now beg you to extend the edit window to 24 hours, please!

Hal

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Hal... I understand your frustration because we all feel it at times, however, the minority spoiled it for the majority, and it really was a mess to see how people were editing and sometimes deleting a thread after they'd got into some kind of spat with someone else... and then the whole thread made no sense whatsoever, or in some more serious cases, that a ''victim'' ( for want of a more appropriate word).. would be left looking like the perpetrator once the latter had edited their posts out of all recognition... ...so it's much better this way...

Al Amoling and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

You are super human @ Hal Pollner. Up until my D2 diagnosis I too looked on food as you do. Tho I had reduced eating processed meat years earlier. 1/10th of a ton?

5. Craig Wilson

Registered

If these are in your diet then the answer is no. The NOVA food classification system, which is recognised by global health agencies including the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation, and used by many researchers globally has found that hi or ultra processed foods have been linked to serious
    disease.
    1. According to the NOVA system, examples of typical ultra-processed products are:
    Sweet or savoury packaged snacks; ice-cream, chocolate, candies (confectionery); mass-produced packaged breads and buns; margarines and spreads; cookies (biscuits), pastries, cakes, and cake mixes; breakfast 'cereals', 'cereal' and 'energy' bars; 'energy' drinks; milk drinks, 'fruit' yoghurts and 'fruit' drinks; cocoa drinks; meat and chicken extracts and 'instant' sauces; infant formulas, follow-on milks, other baby products; 'health' and 'slimming' products such as powdered or 'fortified' meal and dish substitutes; and many ready-to-heat products including pre-prepared pies and pasta and pizza dishes; poultry and fish 'nuggets' and 'sticks', sausages, burgers, hot dogs, and other reconstituted meat products, and powdered and packaged 'instant' soups, noodles and desserts.

Heck I eat a decent percentage of those items.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband and I were just having this conversation a few minutes ago. I told him I'm going to stop buying so much "junk," but we love cookies and chips. Argh. Other than a weakness for junk, we eat very healthy meals.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I rarely eat anything on that list.

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I eat cereal and hot dogs. That is about it for the list. I used to eat potato "chips/crisps", but found they would affect my blood sugar for days afterward, so gave 'em up.

9. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I look at it as everything you consume is like a teaspoon of some sort of liquid in your life bucket. Your bucket gets filledwith your choices. At some point, if you don't put some good stuff in, then your whole bucket is just full of crap.

(Not at all suggesting I have made great choices through the years.) o_O

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Craig Wilson

Registered

Good on you @Shirley Martin. Sorry to say I still eat meat, fruit and savory pies, sausages (low fat and salt) instant soups and sauces. I do eat cookies, candy, ice cream and yogurt.. but only low fat/sugar.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  11. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I rarely (if ever) eat foods on your list Craig I eat yoghurt every morning that’s low fat / lowest sugar of all I’ve checked ..as far as bread go’s I buy bakers delight cape seed .,yep it’s $6 a loaf it lasts me a month

I had to eat cheap stuff when young due to finances now I have the best I can buy to suit our budget / taste.

We eat mostly freshly prepared foods ,last night we had a beef casserole made with lean gravy beef
    added Swede ,green peas ,carrot ,one small potato , celery ,onion and a tiny bit of chopped cabbage
    I always precook ( with a tiny bit of olive oil to prevent sticking to bottom of pan ) the onion / celery / carrot before adding to the meat which I also partly brown before adding any liquid
    If I make a roast chicken I get hubs to cut the fatty backbone ,and allot of extra fat out then cook it with a bread seasoning in a oven bag (delicious) moist chicken

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Just so everybody knows, @Kate Ellery is referring to rutabagas, not Swedish people when she refers to eating them.:)

13. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

They are what you call Swedes, or Swede turnips, a cross between turnips and cabbage that supposedly were developed in Sweden. To most Americans, when you are throwing a Swede into a stew, they picture you tossing a resident of Sweden into the stew. A bit cannibalistic perhaps?;) Rutabagas or Swede turnips are turnips that store better than regular turnips and usually have a yellow color to the flesh, but not always. I grow some that are pink inside.

Yvonne Smith and Kate Ellery like this.
  15. Craig Wilson

Registered

Kadee we also eat mostly healthier prepared foods.. but sometimes wifey wants something simple in which case we resort to pre cooked fare. That cutting the fatty backbone from the chook.. never heard of that. Yeh that poor Swede.o_O

Don Alaska likes this.