Are You Easy Going, A Rabbel Rouser, Or Something In Between?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Diane Lane, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Growing up, my sister had a best friend who was very easygoing. Of everyone I knew, I wanted to be like her, because nothing seemed to ruffle her feathers. No matter what happened, I never saw her get angry or raise her voice, and her life seemed to chug along smoothly. I come from a family where everyone has a temper, at least one opinion, and is usually happy to show the one and share the other, so peace and quiet appealed to me.

As I've gone through life, though, I've learned that if I had been the quiet sort, I probably would have gotten run over by some of the people I've been involved with and had as friends. So, perhaps it's a good thing that I'm a bit of a rabbel rouser and usually speak my mind.

What about y'all? Do you fit into one particular category, or is your personality a blend of more than one personality type?

Ina I. Wonder and Terry Page like this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been called unpredictable.:D

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Ha, something tells me you lean toward the rabbel rouser end of the spectrum, @Ike Willis

4. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh @Diane Lane , you sure do ask the hard questions! :) This for me can change depending on what day you ask me. There are certain things that I'm a rabble-rouser about but then also areas where I tend to be (and prefer to be) very laid back/easygoing.

Know what I've noticed? I've noticed that the older I get, the more things leave the first category for the second. I don't *think* it means I'm losing passion over things that are or once were important... more like I'm trying to learn not to sweat the little things (probably because I know much bigger things will be coming down the pike, eh?)

5. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

For years I was married to a very strong-willed man, who ruled the roost. So I was the quiet, easy-going wife and mother.
    Can't say that I've changed now that I'm in charge ..:p

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I'm not a "Rabble Rouser", as defined in a online dictionary dealing with politics, but I'm not the quiet type either. Thirty-some years ago, I was pretty much of the "quiet type". I'd do some drumming to rock music, have a beer and go home. I was outgoing, but not like other rock drummers. Anyway, sometimes I'd just go to a nightclub by myself and just stand around sipping at a beer and sometimes smoking a cig. Well, I learned "all to fast" that that sure wasn't the way to have fun and maybe meet someone! So, I changed part of my personality and started talking and asking ladies to dance. One thing I definitely had was music rhythm from drumming and listening to rock. Later, I bought a horse, saddle and rope and got involved in rodeo. Now, that is one sport that really calls for the "outgoing" type of personality.

Today, at 66, I can still get a little rowdy, but a very nice type "rowdy" that my wife loves. One thing she will tell anyone, "sure not a dull moment in our home!". I'm not one of those "when I speak, people listen" types, but I can speak my mind at the right time and am very choosy who I speak my mind to. I sure don't want a 9mm looking at me in the face!

Bottom line is, I'm not a "Rouser", for-to-say, but I do sometimes get a little "rowdy" and can act much younger than I am. Again, my wife loves it.

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I was a very quiet child...I was bullied to heck because of it...I learned pretty fast to stand up for myself. or be beaten at every turn .. and although I'm not a 'loud' person...you definitely would know I'm here. I'm a talker, I stand for no nonsense from anyone...and I have always fought my own battles. I'm definitely not a wilting blonde in the corner crying over a broken nail...but neither am I loud and crass..never have been. All in all I'm quietly spoken , who doesn't hurt anyone who just likes to be friendly to everyone...a big smiler. that's one thing people notice about me all the time.....but don't let anyone ever bring crap to me equating my kindness for weakness , because they definitely get a big wide awakening!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm very easy going and I try not to rock the boat. I don't like hassles or fights or arguments. I want everything to go smoothly.

9. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I was always laid back and very easy going, until my middle years then after a year or so of therapy, my suppressed anger came out and I become assertive. During the last decade as I have aged I have become pretty much at peace with everything, so am accepting and very laid back again, sort of full circle really.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm easy going, don't like to make waves but on the rare occasion I'm pushed, I speak up loud and clear!

11. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

Was waiting in the doctor's office a week ago, visiting with the receptionist. "You are so laid back! Are you always this easy going?" If she only knew.....

I work with engineers. Most have gone to school and chosen a career of design, math, science, etc. They do NOT like confrontation. I work with the contractors building the projects designed by the engineers. Therefore, I am the "designated enforcer" to see that projects are constructed in conformance with the design, codes, regulatory regulations, etc. I've had tools thrown at me, the air let out of the tires on my vehicle, and verbally threatened. I love my work and choose to continue working at age 69. It's my job to be a "rabble rouser"... and I enjoy it. When I refuse to sign off on a couple million dollar payment to a contractor, it gets their attention. But, we're going to do it right.

My wife says she feels my interaction with the contractors has contributed to my easy going attitude. I don't get excited about much with family, weather, a bad shot on the golf course..... In many years of playing golf, I dare you to find anyone who has seen me throw a club in anger. Likewise, if you can find a contractor who has heard me use a swear word, other than repeating a quote from one of their own, I'll hand you a hundred dollar bill.

To me, "rabble rousers" are heart attacks waiting to happen. I just cannot believe how high strung some people live. The folks who have to always be stirring the pot need to concentrate on the things they can control and chill out on the rest.

"Rabble rousers" are those who initiate road rage, are involved in domestic disturbances, and would rather solve most any issue with fists or foul language than to work together towards a solution. I take the attitude that anger solves nothing. I'll be the first to say, "We've made a mistake and how can you help me find a way past it."

"Rabble rouser" or "easy going"???? My work vs. my life has me as a Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I'm in between because I like to be heard when need to be heard and aside of it I am very laid back. As a writer I know everyone has their important life story, so I will be patient. To look at someone you just can't tell what's happening in their private life, so I tend to just blend in the crowd. But when there needs to be gotten things done like getting better Medicaid programs for all of America I'll let the President on down know to make some changes please for firmly believe in govt. of, by and for the people.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sounds like my wife, but I have taught her that that isn't the way the world works. She doesn't like confrontations at all, unless there seems to be a mistake on a credit card or bank statement. Confrontations don't bother me, but I do "pick and chose" with whom to have them with.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When wife and I get into a disagreement (ok, argument), one of us ends up saying "I'm sorry", then say "I love you" and go with a hug/kiss. We then may discuss what the disagreement was about, but don't start up the argument again. Our personalities towards our marriage, we think, are very good.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  15. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

About 15 years ago I joined a local forum, made up mostly of people living in and around my town. This forum was kind of loosely organized, as I discovered there were no restrictions in place as to how many user names we could have. I had over 25.
    Using one of my seldom used user names, I made a post saying, " Something happened on Greenwood hills ave. Looks to be a number of bodies". Then I gave the address number. My post created quite a stir. Lots of posts like-
    "OMG, what happened"?
    "I turned the news on. Maybe they'll have something".
    "Oh no, my brother lives on that street".
    "Prayers for the victims".
    Eventually, someone with their head together posted-
    "You people relax. That address is the town cemetery".
    I was banned from that forum later, for some other dastardly deed.
    th (1).jpe