Are You Concerned About Your Online Privacy?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Lon Tanner, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe I am different, but as long as I can keep anyone from accessing my bank or investments I don't care what anyone can dig up on me. I go where and when I want on the web and subscribe to different things and don't worry. Even before computers and the internet I was never overly concerned about my privacy.
    It's interesting how many people will join a forum and when asked for Profile Info they post little or none which makes inter acting with them difficult.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not so much anymore. If I were younger and knew what I know now, I would probably not have established an online identity under my real name. But, I came to the Internet as a natural extension of my involvement in running a BBS and, at first, the Internet was more of an information source rather than an economic one, so there was little reason to keep secrets.

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    What is a "BBS"?
    Frank

4. Ken Anderson

Bulletin Board System

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

I have never been particularly concerned about on-line privacy, as early-on, I failed to understand or comprehend the fact that while on-line, my ISP guy could be identified. Once, logged-in to my hometown forum while living in MO, a guy came on and posted my location, various other things I thought publicly unavailable, and followed thsat with, "Scary, Huh?"

So, having been on-line since about 2005, at that time dial-up, then in 2010 we got a laptop while snowbirding in AZ, enjoying fast response for the first time, we became aware of Obamacare looming. The law required my wife, then 63, to participate. After that first year, we were required to file an income tax return, part of the "Act", which we did. Second year beginning, we went to an IRS office to confer with the agent there (there was only one, the very first time in my entire life dealing with an IRS Agent! He was great! He stated there was no problem with the return I had filed, except, ..........why or how did I apply for a tax refund for last year in amount $4800? I went "WHAT"?

Still suspicious, he asked me to reveal when and where I had received my S/S #. Told him, Berwyn, Illinois, 1958. He clicked away some more, declared he believed me, then explained some guy in OK had used my name and SS # to apply for that refund. Told us not to worry about it. I was assigned a special PIN # to use in filing. That year was the last. Wife turned 65, Obamacare requirement became no longer valid. RELIEF!

How, who, got my ID? Why be so foolish as to request money back fraudulently? This was a number of years ago, now, and I've heard nothing more. Except twice IRS sent a new PIN #, followed a few weeks later by a letter claiming an error was made, issuing a NEW #! Wondered if it was part of the ploy to keep intruders uninformed, or simply IRS boondoggling.
    Frank

6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Thank you. I will Google that perhaps, as I have still no idea what that is in PC jargon.
    Frank

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Not concerned.

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes of course I'm concerned, as every right person should be..... Online fraud is endemic

No need to be over cautious of course, otherwise enjoyment would go out of using the internet, but being careful not to click on spam email links, and not giving out passwords, real names and addresses, etc.. are very basic obvious ones.. Fraudsters are getting cleverer and cleverer.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

All good advice, @Holly Saunders.

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Me too.

11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I use and have used Facebook for a long time to stay in touch with family and friends. There are several men on Facebook with the same identical first and last name as mine.

How about you, have you checked?

12. Ken Anderson

Given my name, I am never surprised to find others with the same name. I don't think I'm even the only Ken Anderson in Millinocket. When they start using your photos and information, then they are involved in a con, probably hoping to get information from those who would "friend" them thinking they were you.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

A number with my name too. However I got off Facebook about a year ago. Decided if I couldn't use eMail or telephone to stay in touch with family, I didn't need to be in touch.

Hedi Mitchell and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never checked , but given that my name is relatively common there's probably thousands

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

There are many with my name on there- but there is only One Me, and very few,know the real me:D. No likey FB :mad:

Holly Saunders likes this.