Are You a Shopaholic or Shopping Phobic?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ruth Belena, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

:oops:Neither, I just buy what I need and stay in my budget. I like to window shop online and see what prices are as well go to shops to see what prices are. I need a laptop right now, but can't really afford one and internet connection just yet, but I shop & see what's on sale.

2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I can, I try to do my shopping during the earlier, less crowded hours. The problem is, the grocery store opens at 7am, and the first few hours the aisles are usually blocked with stock being put away. Later, and the store becomes more crowded with shoppers.

Since I have to use a mobility scooter or a walker, navigating jammed or crowded aisles is difficult. Add to that a dangerous to cross parking lot and shopping can be quite an adventure.

My store can't seem to stand an uncluttered space. Directly inside the main entrance they placed tables of bakery goods, leaving two narrow aisles around it, making entrance and exit even more difficult. I try to avoid shopping as much as I can.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

Neither really...altho' if anything I'm slightly 'phobic' about grocery shopping, I hate the tedium of trying to think up ideas for new meals, then walking around packed supermarket aisles .

I like to shop for clothing or furniture as long it's a quiet time...but now with online shopping so popular , it's getting harder to find any decent furniture stores selling stuff that's a little different from the norm. Most places seem to sell all similar styles and only the prices differ., and I would prefer something a little different ...also I like to see what I'm buying before I spend my money so I would prefer to shop instore .

I'm still employed so it's difficult for me to go grocery shopping during the day..and if I go early morning or late at night, it's as you say Ike...the aisles are blocked with cages and staff filling shelves...*caught between a rock and a hard place*...

Ike Willis likes this.
  4. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am neither. I shop when I have to, but I'm on such a tight budget that I don't enjoy it much. If I won the lottery, I know I would become a shopaholic real quick! :D

Ike Willis likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Some days I just love shopping, and those are the days when we find a good bargain ! Yesterday, Bobby and I went to the thrift store, ALDI , and also the liquidation store, called Essex or Bargain Hunt.
    They usually have some good deals at Essex, and what I found this time was dog food. It was a 35 lb bag of a good quality dog food, and it was $19 for a bag of the lamb and rice flavor; so I got a bag.
    When I checked it out on Amazon, just their small bag was around $35, and the large size of chicken and rice was almost $80 per bag !
    I read through the ingredients, and it looks like good quality dog food. We have not opened the bag yet, but we will do that today, and if the dogs (that means Chipper, because Tootsie would eat anything ) like this dog food, then I am going to go back and get 1-2 more bags if they still have some left.
    IMG_0714.JPG IMG_0716.JPG

Edit to add: We opened the new dog food, and I put some out, and even Chipper was eating it; so I am pleased with our find, and be getting another bag or two at the sale price.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

Excellent , that's what I call a real bargain... :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd rather shop online and have everything delivered right to my door than shop in a Mall, etc. When I do feel like going shopping you will find me at Walmart (the have everything store for good prices) or at Albertsons picking up some of their specials.

Around Christmas time I will go to the Mall with my daughters (if I'm in the mood) so they can help me pick out some gifts for my teenage grandkids. I enjoy the time with my daughters more than I do the shopping though. :)

8. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

I certainly remember going to malls in the 80's. Now I dislike the mall and they are much more desolate. I prefer browsing in a thrift shop. If I'm in retail, I'm at the store for a reason and looking for something specific.

Not a shopaholic or phobic.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We do most of our grocery shopping at Walmart. Milk, meat and some vegi's we get at local grocery store or indoor Farmer's Market a few miles down the freeway from us. A few other things we will get at Walmart, but most clothes are bought at either Sears or Penny's. After we leave Sears or Penny's, we will sometimes take a stroll down part of the Mall and check out the pet store and music/video store, but that's it.

We also enjoy, sometimes, taking in a Goodwill store for a few minutes.

Shopaholic's.............no. When a couple has a boat or motorhome, sometimes extra money has to go into them for maintenance or repairs.