Are We All Caucasians On This Forum?

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I for one certainly was not outraged at Lons' question much less faux outrage... I was simply curious as to why he was asking the question... I do think tho' that accusing people of faux Outrage is presumptuous and unfair !!

I on the other hand am White I have absolutely nothing of colour in my Ancestry which is white Irish /Scottish for centuries.. however my father had such deep olive skin, as does one of my sisters everyone thought he was Spanish or Italian (which he wasn't).... whereas I inherited the strong Blue eyes fair skinned freckled skin of my ancestors..

We grew up without prejudice of any kind against any colour, it just never occurred to anyone in my very large family to think of anyone in black and white, it was never even mentioned that anyone was a different colour, it was just accepted that we were all just people,

I do remember when I was very little my mum telling me something the Chinese tell their own small children when explaining the colour of their skin ..they say..

When God makes babies, he puts them in the oven to bake...

The white ones are the underdone ones..
    The black ones are the overdone,,
    ..and the Chinese are the most perfectly cooked of all :D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner Surely there must be Asian, Black, Hispanic Seniors that could participate in this forum and add some different perspective to the discussions.

Sounds like an invitation. Nothing to be criticized. Oh, no one was criticizing. Pffffffffffft.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Registered

Perhaps Lon has different nationalities living in the senior care home where he lives , who he could invite...

Yvonne Smith and Emma Smith like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders Sorry I was presumptuous about those saying they were offended as fake outrage, but I have dealt with it my entire life. A simple question is ask and people are totally offended and turn it into a racial thing. I apologize to any that were genuinely offended because of personal experience. Only Lon knows his reason for asking.

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

It amazes me how a simple question can kick off a firestorm. Let me be more specific - Do we have African-Americans or Asians in the forum?

-- Merged with the other thread. I included the thread title here, in orange.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2019
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Why does it matter??

Maggie Mae and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The opening post was a racial thing. Now, keep in mind that I am not saying that it was necessarily a racist thing, since they are not the same thing, but the thread is about the race of members of this form, which makes it a racial thing.

Maggie Mae and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Perspective!!

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We are all just people here. Good grief. I don't know why anyone needs a label. (I'm just a doggie with sun glasses.)

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

Why make 2 threads about the same subject?

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Please do note that I do not care if someone is offended or not by the OP and I think I made that pretty apparent by my previous replies.
    I see in your later post that you acknowledge the fact that you indeed do not know who is or who would not be “faking” or not so I believe I made my point. Apology most humbly accepted.

So far as the avatars, do also note that some people such as myself are not camera friendly. I posted one picture on this forum and that will probably be the last one until possibly February when I dry out.

Now, what can be taken from all of this? I really hate assumptions even though nearly everyone does it at one time or another.
    It’s merely a large hole filled with ignorance and surrounded by personal logic which.....isn’t at all logical when one is searching for truth.

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

13. Ken Anderson

It pretty much is. People are taught to be racists. They're not born that way.

14. Ken Anderson

Anyone who can put a sentence together in English (or something resembling English) is welcome in this forum. We do not require DNA results.

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Race and ethnicity are different things. I read the opening post to be more about ethnicity than race. One's "race" (we are all members of the human race) wouldn't add any different perspective to a forum, but their ethnic heritage and experiences might. Maybe Lon thinks that race determines our perspectives, if so he is wrong and I too would feel he was insensitive and has limited experience with people different than himself.. A good example is members of a group either religious or political and of different "races" will give you in general the same perspective on topics related to their groups beliefs. Ask them about unrelated things such as music,food, etc., and you might get a wide interesting variety of responses. And yes I was too easily annoyed by the responses shaming him and not saying why they thought he was wrong. I will try to be more tolerant.