Are There Any New Hobbies That You Might Realistically Pick Up?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

that little dog...so precious...

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Realizing many things, we did are now out of reach can be really depressing at first. I loved softball and played it from early 20s till 50. Realizing at 50 I was no longer able to play and be fair to other team members. Also diving for a fly ball in right field and crashing to the grown like a rock was the real deal breaker, I caught the ball, but I could hardly get up. Those in the stands and players all worried about the old fool in the field. I knew it was my last hurrah.
    If that wasn't bad enough, my grandkids who were there said" nana you looked like you were running in slow motion".
    I still have my ball and 50 y.o. Wilson glove and taught 6 of the grands and a couple niece's how to play.

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Besides dog training I'd like to find a new hobby but can't think of one I'd enjoy. Not so much into crochet or sewing but something with physical movement.
    Its sure no longer ball or sports.

4. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

My hobby for the foreseeable future is. Chasing after single women. Iffering free meals for the ones I can catch.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Jan Ahlmann

Jan Ahlmann Well-Known Member
    Registered

I bought a paint by number set during the COVID lockdown and just finally started it last week! It’s very relaxing, but I have to get a better set-up for it as I hate putting it away and taking it out again. I tried a miniature room kit by Robotime, and that was fun, so I have another kit to work on. My main hobby is quilting and I recently taught myself a new for me quilting technique called foundation paper piecing. It takes some concentration rather than just regular piecing, so it helps to keep my brain active.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  6. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That is adorable:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Still do my word games, and mahjong and picture puzzles on line. However I have trying to get my legs back into shape so have been slowing walking little at a time. This morning walked full mile- first in a loong time.
    I am still using my cane,but my goal is to keep moving and gain better mobility. To think I use to speed walk 3-5 miles a day --smh to now be excited about a whole mile. :cool: Unbelievable

8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I still haven't given up on learning the guitar. I've been shopping for an acoustic one with wide string spread. To learn "solo" guitar (versus rhythm guitar). It just means playing the melody on the strings, instead of chords.

If I ever find one, the neck will probably be too wide. There's always some excuse to use. :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2023
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I bought one when I was 20. The neck pulled away from the body and I took it back to get it repaired. In the meantime, the place went out of business. I never did get that git back.

At least I got to learn how to pluck out a marginal rendition of Red River Valley.

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

The ultimate goal is to get a neck harness to hold a harmonica and play the guitar at the same time. Sort of like Bob Dylan.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I can't play the harmonica very well either.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

So funny at our age we are trying to learn to walk.

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

As most of you know, my latest hobby has been Aerogardening. I seem to zone out and go to my happy place while messing with plants. (Too bad dusting furniture doesn't seem to have that same effect.)

I still want to get back into crocheting and maybe another attempt at learning to knit. Which reminds me that I saw this video on "finger knitting" and it really looks like something I might be able to do. (Video is 6 minutes but you can just watch a bit and get the gist.)

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Looks easy, but I think it would be difficult to get the loops standard. For those interested, hooking rugs is the more masculine form of "needlework".

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

That's interesting. I have never seen that.

I happened by a Hobby Lobby last month, and decided to pick up a needlepoint kit. I used to do a lot of it, and thought I'd like to get back into it. Unfortunately, they did not have any kits. I don't know if they even had the blank mesh.

15. John Brunner

My younger brother used to do latch hook.

Rosy Grier does needlepoint.

[​IMG]