Are Funeral Processions Necessary ?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Lon Tanner, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I really don't think so. On my way to a doctor appointment today my driver was held up by a five city block funeral procession. The procession does not honor or show respect for the deceased it's just a spectacle to let
    the general population know that some one of importance has died.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have to agree with you Lon in that they are not necessary. I would rather someone just throw me into a small hole in the back yard and let it go at that but that's just not the way things work.

Every society and culture has it's own ways of honoring and showing love and respect for the deceased. For whatever reason throughout history, a parade of some kind just seems to be the most outstanding method that folks have had.
    So, whilst a funeral procession isn't a necessary thing as in life threatening or giving, to some people it's just what people do.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  3. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I have no interest in having a viewing or procession but I have no problem with those that do.

Those things were very important to my grandparent's generation and IMO they are still a way of honoring the deceased.

For myself, I plan to have the funeral director transport my cremains to the cemetery and be buried without a service. If people want to stop by and pay their respects after I'm settled in my new home that's fine with me.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think the processions DO serve to honor the deceased, just as military funerals do. Not everyone agrees with the idea of processions, ceremonies, or funerals themselves for that matter, but they serve the survivors and have a purpose.

5. Sir Walter Pasty

Sir Walter Pasty Veteran Member
    Registered

Necessary-no.But I have no problem with them.I have no idea about the law elsewhere but here all that is required is that you dispose-terrible way to put it-of your loved ones body.This can be done without a funeral-and as someone who is a non-believer I hope my wishes to be cremated without a service are kept to.But as I'll be dead I won't know!

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Someone doesn’t have to be someone of importance, here at least, for a funeral procession. Most funerals include a procession to the gravesite, some longer than others. They are not necessary for the person who has died, but I think they might provide some solace for the family. There's always a reason for ritual.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’m still dwelling on the word, “necessary”.
    Viewing my former post, in retrospect, a military funeral could be psychologically construed as being “necessary”.

When I came back from Nam I was asked to join the U.S. Army honor guard and to be truthful and although it was quite painful at the time, I can think of nothing so significant than a military burial.
    Our soldiers need to be remembered, honored and respected so yes, there are some funeral processions and ceremonies that are indeed necessary.

8. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

For Veterans, I like to see the flag markers and also bronze plaques.

I think that those things are important for people to see even if they only make a small subliminal impact on them.

[​IMG]

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I think maybe the whole idea of a procession ...was to keep all family and friends of deceased together in order for the burial to take place without waiting on someone to show up.
    I will be creamated.....no need for any of that.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That makes sense. You're probably right.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I know who that funeral procession was for and it's a very sad story....so...you had to wait, big deal. Many people lost a husband, father, friend, and our chief of police lost his uncle.

It happened not far from my house....the suicide by cop of an ex cop. He had mental problems. He's been retired but was chief of police here for many years and I think a policeman in Fresno for at least 30.

I might not have all his info correct because this happened about a month ago and I'm just going by what I remember.

He was well known so I'm sure the procession was long.

A lady at Curves knew his wife.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Jim Nash

Jim Nash Veteran Member
    Registered

I favour being taken from hospital and cremated, no service, just a request that friends and family raise a glass to speed me on my way. Of course I will not be in a position to make the decision. Perhaps that's best. It's a bit like choosing the colour of your front door when the choice should be made by the guy opposite who looks at it all the time.

Nancy Hart and Lulu Moppet like this.