Are Any Of You Retired From State Or Federal Employment?

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

None of the posts that I have read would indicate that we do but thought I would ask.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No, not retired from it. I have been employed by the State of Texas as program chairman of an EMT program at a state college, and I have also been employed as an EMS examiner for the Texas Department of Health, but I didn't stay long enough for retirement.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Not me but an older sister. She was with the National Labor Relations Board.

She was a Field Arbitrator in the Carolinas/Virginia/Kentucky region, then finished up her career working for The Board in DC (gotta get some years of higher salary level in that retirement base.) She retired somewhere around 2008-2010.

I have a couple of friends who are retired from the State of Virginia, working in the penal system. I also had a pastor who retired from the same state system.

I think the state has a pension system.

4. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I worked 13 years for DoD and then transferred to the USPS. Retired in 2013 with 31 years of federal service. Wife worked 34 years for the state of NY at Auburn Correctional.
    Both good careers with decent retirement.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Not us, but my half brother retired from the State of PA. heavy equipment maintenance/repair department. He gets a heck of a pension! His and his wife don't go on vacations anymore, so their SS and pensions money go toward remodeling homes they buy, sell and rent out.

6. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, from the Va. State Community College system.

Peter Renfro and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That's a great system. I went to the Annandale campus. COVID has interrupted my signing up at the Piedmont campus.

I got my AA in Accounting at night (switched to that from Electronics), and every one of my instructors was a professional working in the field they taught. Being in business at the time, I was fully aware of the value of having access to CPAs, controllers, IRS Section Chiefs, lawyers, etc. all for $21/quarter.

I learned so much.

8. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

yes i retired from the state of georgia

Beth Gallagher and Peter Renfro like this.
  9. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wife and I worked for 30 years in SSA's Federal Disability program at headquarters office just west of Baltimore. She was a quality assurance reviewer, assessing disability claims decisions made by the State agencies. I spent 22 of the 30 years on the staff that wrote disability rules and regulations. The first eight years in the same slot as my wife.

In fact, when she came out of training class she was assigned to our section and the supervisor named me her mentor despite my coming out of training class just a few months earlier. The supervisor admitted that he was playing Cupid, given that she and I were single. :D

We took early retirement in 1997.

10. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My best friend has a 3 family members currant FBI oldest one retired as secretary and she has great benefits,$75,000 pay .One CIA was Clinton personal security but that sister and SIL are very liberal. She only visits the ones in DC once a year or her sister visits them in Ga..
    She doesn't talk about them often. Shes the black sheep of the family,lol.Retired from GM.

11. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Well-Known Member
    Registered

Retired USPS letter carrier. 27.5 years with the Postal Service. I had 4 years in the Navy that I was able to use toward my retirement but I had to pay a premium to do so. I retired in 2011 at the age of 56, the minimum at the time.

upload_2021-7-16_23-49-56.png

12. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was only in civil service for about 7 years. When I left, I was too young, still in my early 30s, to really think far enough ahead to retirement, so I took what had accumulated to that point in a lump sum. Looking back, that was probably a mistake.

13. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was with civil service when I first hired in but two years into my career, congress and the USPS passed some kind of legislation creating the FERS program. (Federal Employees Retirement System) So, I was on the hook for 2 years of social security that I hadn't paid and my retirement age was also bumped up a year. Not a wonderful thing to have happen to me but I survived. I smile on the first of every month when I see that my retirement check has been deposited.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  14. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It is nice to see those deposits. A bit of coin coming in keeps the anxiety at bay.

Jack Roberts likes this.