Are Animals Losing Their Habitat? Is The Problem Getting Better Or Worse?

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We also used to see black bears sometimes but not lately. I felt bad when I ran over to baby black bears in my bus about 15 years ago, I went back and didn't see them, but I felt the bump when they ran in front of us.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Black bears are very shy. For example, I know that one very large black bear frequents my land up north, but I've only seen him twice. I know he's often around when I'm there because he shows up on my cameras a lot.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

I think they know when to come out. They like to hang out around the rivers here I was about to cross a bridge when the little cubs following their mom got hit.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The destruction of habitat is also a factor in some cases, if not directly then perhaps in a domino-effect way. No one's seen an ivory billed woodpecker lately. I doubt that it's due to them being eaten.

5. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Regarding animals and their habitat - a minor anecdote - Aside from the coyotes, free-range chickens, ducks, raccoons, squirrels, groundhogs and other critters that show up in our back yard, we've the following, regular dinner guests:

[​IMG]

Numbers range from 2 to 7 who show up regularly in the evening to browse. The herds are all female. The bucks show up alone. We've no shortage of deer, even in town. They like the green spaces, water sources.and bird seed that drops. There's occasional reports of bear and moose but I've not seen or photographed any. I am thinking wildlife will adapt if given protected habitat.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

We have a very busy woodpecker here now, he has really worked on some of the trees but thats ok, its the tree killing vines I don't like. It is a busy bird.

John Brunner likes this.