Aquaponics -- Grow Fish and Veggies in the Back Yard

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is something that Bobby and I have talked about doing, and may one of these days give it a try. Aquaponics is basically growing your plants/veggies hydroponically, and utilizing the water for a fish tank. The dirty water from the fish tank provides fertilizer and nutrients for the plants, and then the clean and filtered water is returned to the fish tank.
    This is one of those ideas that can be as large or as small as you want to build it. Some tutorials show people using a 20-gallon fish tank, and others have an old swimming pool, or stock tank full of fish.
    Either way, it is an interesting idea of how to provide more of your own food, even in a small city lot, or where any kind of livestock or poultry is not permitted.
    This is just one idea, to give you the gist of how it works; and then there are bunches of tutorials on youtube , so you can go as simple or as complex as you want to do.

2. Dave Pressley

Dave Pressley Veteran Member
    Registered

:(

Hi real nice real ingenious nice work !

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  3. Juan Ortega

Juan Ortega Veteran Member
    Registered

I am familiar with hydroponics, which is growing plants without soil. I've had great results with this type of botany, one can modify factors to produce or yield the quality or quantity one wishes for. As for the incorporation of the fish, is new to me. Seeing that fish oil is very good health wise I can imagine the fish tank water benefiting plant life.

4. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know, Yvonne, smells kind of fishy to me (sorry, I could not resist) Actually, I really don't like the idea as I don't eat fish. Now if it worked with shell fish, I'd consider it!