"apple" Spam Emails

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Diane Lane, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Please don't fall for the spam/scam emails going around, purportedly from Apple. They even have a little TM next to the Apple, in the sender spot of the emails. I'm glad Yahoo does a decent job of screening out most of the scam emails, but I happened to notice I had at least two of them in the Spam folder, so wanted to warn y'all, just in case someone clicked by accident. Anything that comes from a company you have an account with, if it's legitimate, will have the name that you registered with, not something generic, such as 'dear valued customer.'

Oops, sorry, I don't know how to edit the heading. Sometimes my fingers don't do what my brain tells them to do. The A in Apple should be capitalized, obviously.

2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

This doesn't really surprise. We can just add Apple to a long list of companies that have been used in email scams in the past. Apple is in good company along side paypal, yahoo and amazon. Heck there have even been baking institutions used in such scams. The best advice I always give individuals is don't buy into the email. If you have an account then odds are its in your bookmaks of frequently visited websites and this is where you need to go in order to check to make sure there are no problems with the account. These emails can look very authentic but I have come to realize that unless we are expecting an email of some kind don't click on any link in the email but either call the place or go to your bookmark page just to make sure all is in order, but never ever click on anything in the email.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It probably wasn't your error. I doesn't allow you to capitalize a word in quotations. Wanting standard case used in thread titles, a few weeks ago I set it to change titles to capitalize the first letter of words, the downside being that it will only capitalize the first letter of an acronym, and apparently won't capitalize anything in quotations.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Yahoo email users regularly receives spam mails with subjects pointing towards a problem with the email account. Examples of subjects - closing of email account, email account storage exceeded. If you had clicked on the link by mistake, you will be led to a website that is not related to the subject matter. Obviously, that was a spam email to get hits for their website.

There was a memo to this effect that was issued in our office early this year to warn the users of probable scams and spams using bogus emails.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I have received several of those Apple-related emails, but Gmail has caught them and sent them to the spam inbox.

Gmail is really bad for some things, but good at catching spam emails, this is why I use a gmail account to forward any email delivered to my domains email addresses.

Gmails serves as a better spam filter than the integrated filters the control panel has for incoming emails.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree, and I think Gmail does a better job of screening spam than Yahoo does, although Yahoo does pretty well. I'm sure some like how Gmail separates out email into 3 different categories, but I often forget, and miss things it puts into the non-main boxes. I prefer everything in one inbox, so I can screen and sort it myself. I think I must forget to check the Spam folder on Gmail, too, because I haven't even noticed the 'Apple' spam/scam emails on that account.

Thanks @Ken Anderson, it's good to know it wasn't my fingers for once, and if it happens again, I won't be surprised.