Anything Positive About Growing Old

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Terry Page, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank you Ina. Hope you've been feeling much better and have things going more your way. You're not being intrusive. We have both checked on each other.

2. Michael Santi

Michael Santi Active Member
    Registered

I've found only one thing .... Getting older has given me the true grasp of what 'personal faith' really means .... not just in God, I mean finally putting my foot down even to sometimes reject those who formerly would say things I'd simply think were obviously true and correct ... and that I should cast in mental concrete ... such as doctors opinions, tv ministers, beloved and famous newscasters, money managers, .... anyone trying to shape and force on me some type of damnable reality and hang it around my neck ... I learned that to understand what 'true personal faith' is you must come to a day when you are the only one in the proverbial room who believes something different than all the rest .... contrary to popular belief, majority doesn't rule, majority just overly influences and distorts the truth by their sheer numbers alone. Ask General Custer ...

3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

4. Michael Santi

Michael Santi Active Member
    Registered

Thanks Ina, I needed a little pschycological support this evening ... : )

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

6. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Today I had to make a very hard decision. Whether to shave my legs or not. My 26 y/o grandson asked me why I still shaved my legs. Good question I thought, although I'm one of the lucky ones who only has to about every 10 to 12 weeks. There just isn't much hair on my legs. I guess it's the Indian in me.

But, I thought about it, after I shaved. :rolleyes: Maybe I'll pass on it next August. :p :D

Do all of you ladies still shave? ;)

7. Bill Boggs

Registered

First off I'm convinced growing old would seem to be better than the alternative. For whatever reason, probably to avoid that alternative, I keep trying to find things to do that would keep me interested in retirement and growing old gracefully. I learned to play the harmonica, which seems to have helped my emphysema by assisting in expanding my lungs gently and in strengthening my diaphragm, helping to expel the bad air in my lungs and make room for a wee bit more oxygen. Today I bought a wooden flute. I'm going to learn to play it. This will help my old age experience, make me glad to be alive, and allow me to say positive thing about growing old. Another small challenge. Life is good and I guess that's a positive.

8. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

An archaeologist is the best husband any woman can have: the older she gets, the more interested he is in her - Agatha Christie

I don't do alcohol anymore - I get the same effect just standing up fast - Anonymous

The idea is to die young as late as possible - Ashley Montagu

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams - John Barrymore

Bobby Cole and Gloria Mitchell like this.
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

All good points @Lara Moss. :) I just wish I could remember even a few of the words of wisdom I've read. The really sad point is, I couldn't remember them when I was younger either. :confused:

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder I don't have to shave under my arms anymore because for some reason the hair there doesn't grow anymore. In winter time since I wear jeans or long pants all the time I don't shave my legs as often either. My Honey says it doesn't matter to him since he doesn't shave his legs :p...but in warmer weather if I am wearing capris, etc. I will shave my legs if the public will be getting a glance at them. And I also shave my legs for cozy up time with my Honey! :)

11. Bill Boggs

Registered

Always liked hairy legs, maybe a gene from some long lost ancestor.

12. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have never been very hairy. Always had a head full of hair..which is thining now. I have not shaved my legs in years and years. Those very few hairs were super soft and almost unnoticeable. The arms...um twice s year maybe.

13. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My BF, thinks I should go back to work. Um, nooo,
    I don't want to...why she asks.... Because I do not want someone else telling me what to do..been there done that:p

14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm the same except I don't even have to shave under my arms anymore...I never was really hairy in my younger days either

15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This is all quite interesting. In my case, during the past year or so, hair has begun growing pretty thickly where it was sparse all my life, wrists, and belly. Maybe I'll ask my Dr. about it.
    Frank

16. Bill Boggs

Registered

I guess I don't understand what you're saying or getting at @Michael Santi. I'm a little thick I suppose.