Anyone Still Drink Alcohol In Moderation Of Course?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Marie Mallery, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Re wine lowers my BG and makes me feel good too. But I don't drink it but once in awhile, so for Diabetes it doesn't help alot unless you drink too much for the treatment.
    But it really brings down Glucose when I do drink.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I quit drinking a long time ago. Other than cooking, I've not consumed any since. I'm not sure I've ever had a glass of wine. It's too bad, because I live in the heart of Virginia wine country. It's a big industry here (tourism and alcohol sales.) Trump Winery is about 1/2 hour from me, and I pass a few other wineries on the way. I'm surrounded by them.

Bobby Cole and Marie Mallery like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Getting older seems to take away the addiction part it seems, because we don't push the hangovers like when we were younger, but that's just what most say, not sure. I don't care for it that often, but Jake likes to have 2 beers a few times a week. Wine for me, maybe once a month. I drank maybe 4 ounces red wine and felt pretty tipsy.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a beer a few times a week; usually when we're having pizza or mexican food. Neither my husband nor I drink much but he will have a margarita if we're out for dinner.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've been drunk maybe three times in my life, and only once after I graduated from high school. Every two or three years I'll have a glass of wine, but I don't drink the whole thing.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I never had a drink of any alcoholic beverage until I was in my mid 30s, had my first beer then. My wife and I will usually have a beer on Friday pizza night. We started doing that when we were working and it stuck. Maybe once a month, we’ll have a small bit of Sangria with dinner. I’ve tasted fireball cinnamon whiskey out of curiosity but neither of us like the taste of hard liquors. Neither of us have any use for mood altering substances.

Krystal Shay and Marie Mallery like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Beth I figure if a 112 year old can drink so can I if I take it easy.
    He lived to be 112, oldest living vet at the time. He liked cigars and Jack Danials whiskey and ice cream.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Ken I have always drank, sometimes more than I should but mostly social. It is like everything else, moderation is the key, but for some not a good idea.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Jake used to like hard whiskey, VO and coke,but not anymore, or very seldom last time maybe 10 years ago he changed to beer, he handles it well.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes,we do- because rarely drink anymore. I had to give up wine on regular basis, as it causes, um bathroom issues. Can't eat graspes much either anymore.
    We have a huge bottle of Gentlemen Jack in cupboard to keep for occasional nip or bad news. Beer on occasion. Beer goes good with Mexican foods or BBQ.
    Doctor had no problem with it so good to go. Besides certain friends of mine refuse to let me forget about the night I danced on the table top of local club.It was in late 80's. :D

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Not to change your thread, but since George Burns smoked a cigar for years upon years, many smokers will say "see, smoking isn't that bad."

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Marie, I don't make excuses for anything I do; if I want to have a drink then I have one. If people are so lame that they feel they can judge me then pffffffffffffffffffffffft. I may not have the longest life but you can bet I'll be doing whatever I please as long as I can. :D

13. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like wine but I rarely drink it anymore. It seems to give me nasal congestion in my senior years. I buy those little small bottles of wine to use for cooking and I take a sip at that time; a little for the food and a little for the cook.:D My husband and I have a beer with pizza once in a while, and I also use beer on occasion in some of my recipes.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We keep a 12 pack of both Bud Light and Michelob Ultra in our frig, but most of the time, we will split a bottle. When we eat Mexican food out, we will have a margarita. Mexican food at home, margarita time also. Have ingredients for a Bloody Mary, but don't have very often. Sometimes, wife will have a Gin & Tonic when I have a Bloody Mary. I'll have a beer when we go out for dinner on a special occasion, like our birthdays or whatever. Wife will either have a beer or a Gin & Tonic.

As for myself, I've been smashed a few times, and one of those times was in the Navy for a Ship's Party on a Naval Base. After our Wedding Reception (2001), and having shots "rot-gut" Tequila with Coors Light, I was pretty blitzed and passed out in SIL's car. Somehow I was taken into our apartment and crashed on our bed. But, of course, "that was then and now is now".

15. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have an occasional beer, with a six pack lasting 3 weeks to a month or more. I've only had one hangover in my life and that was after a night on the town when a bunch of us decided to sample beer, wine and Irish coffee up one side of Kurfurstendamm (i.e., the Champs-Élysées of Berlin, Germany) and down the other a very long time ago.