Anyone Remember Pancakes

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kate Ellery, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I have 2 bananas getting seriously brown on the counter. Maybe I'll try it.

2. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Makes a good meal. :)

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've done this one and another version, maybe with oatmeal?? Anyway, I'm not a pancake fan but did try those and they were good.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Talking bananas, they are always touted as being high in Potassium. True enough, but if bananas were your only daily source of dietary Potassium, you would need to eat 40 of them, each and every day!

Potassium is an extremely important nutrient, because, among other things, it is involved in regulating and controlling the heartbeat. Few, also, realize that, amidst all the hoopla about sodium and it's ill effects, the minimum daily adult requirement for Potassium is TWICE that of Sodium, around 4,000 mg, that's 4 GRAMS.

Chemically, both Sodium and Potassium are very similar elements, very lightweight METALS, so light, they float on the surface of water! But not for long. Both react very responsively with water, combining explosively with the oxygen in the water and releasing the remaining water constituent, Hydrogen gas, which promptly ignites explosively.

As a kid, 14 or so, I bought a chunk of Sodium metal at my chemical supply house. Maybe about 1/4 lb., which sounds very little, but keep in mind, the stuff is very light, so 1/4 lb. = a sizeable piece. Both Sodium and Potassium metals are stored, kept, submerged under a thin oil like kerosene, to absolutely exclude air (containing moisture) from getting to them. They are extremely soft; about the consistency of refrigerated butter, may be cut with a knife. My experiments with Sodium involved cutting off a piece about the size of a child's glass marble, then dropping it into one of the drain sewers in our basement, where it sizzled and crackled for a few seconds, releasing hydrogen gas which permeated up and out of the sewer pipe, and exploded with a rather violent report!

Just another of the innumerable ubiquitous exercises which surrounded my interests as a kid, almost an adult. I saw no real future use for Sodium's unique properties, so turned to the need for explosives to carve out the "cave" my friend and I were digging on my Folks' property in Michigan. That effort resulted in the life-changing result of having sustained 2nd. degree burns to my face and hand, in 8th. grade. Told before, yer probably sick of hearing of it.

FWIW: You've heard of LYE? Opens clogged sink drains, one of very few chemicals capable of dissolving hair; that's why it works! "Exploding" Sodium metal in water produces LYE! Sodium + Oxygen (in the water), = Sodium Hydroxide, which is lye. There you have the rest of the story!

5. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

Went to IHOPS the other day, first time in years, and had strawberry, banana pancakes. They were outstanding. Will visit again real soon.