Anyone Here Have A Rabbit? Meet Snowball

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Sandra Chase, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

One of the first things we noticed, when we moved back here to Colorado and into our apartment, was a few wild rabbits hopping around the landscape. The last time we seen wild rabbits, like this one, was on the front lawn of our last house here in Colorado. That was 11 1/2 years ago. Never seen a single wild rabbit while living in northeastern Florida for 10 1/2 years.

We were tickled to see the wild rabbits here. To us, they look better than seeing all of Geico lizards running all over the place in our old apartment in Florida.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

About a month or two ago, someone bought the wooded lot behind our house, and had it completely cleared, because they want to build apartments there instead.
    When they cleared away all of the underbrush, all of the little critters that lived back there had to move elsewhere. It appears that one little wild bunny has moved to our front yard.
    He is either a really small rabbit, or he is still a very young one. We haven’t seen any others, which one would expect if there was a whole litter of them, or any signs of larger adult rabbits; so possibly, he is just a small sized rabbit, really not much bigger than a squirrel/

We enjoy seeing him hopping around and munching clover, and today he was close enough for me to get my camera out for a photo-shoot.
    However, it seems that Peter Cottontail is camera shy, and went bounding across the front yard when I was on the porch with the camera.
    Here is the picture that I was able to get ! (Zoomed in)

AD20F6D3-612E-4699-861D-C8E48EED2F8F.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  3. Sandra Chase

Sandra Chase Well-Known Member
    Registered

He's so small, and adorable!

4. Sandra Chase

Sandra Chase Well-Known Member
    Registered

Rabbits do tend to be cuter! Though the holes they dig don't look that good in the garden :p

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of the many pleasures I've had in moving to a rural area is seeing rabbits as a common occurrence, just as I used to when I was a kid.

The weird thing is that many of the critters here are not afraid of humans...at least, they don't scatter when I'm around. The rabbits here don't hop away unless I'm right on top of them. One swift kick (and were so inclined), and I would have dinner.

I find it odd.

6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

We have wild rabbits in the back yard. I throw vegetables out occasionally for them. They're very skittish, though, and I have to enjoy them through the window.....they take off if I so much as crack the door.

7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

We have Cottontails and Jacks in abundance here in the High Desert.

They occasionally dart in front of the car in our residential areas.

Hal

8. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Sandra, you make me jealous that I don't have a rabbit.My cat Barney would love some company besides myself.
    I once chased a wild rabbit in the woods and caught it in a crabnet. It cried so awfully that I immediately let it go, I felt pretty bad about it.

9. Dwight Ward

Registered

I suggest 'Dusty' for one.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Dwight Ward

Registered

....perhaps 'Fluffy' for another. I'm getting old. It took me hours to think of that. Sigh.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You're going to have to step it up, Dwight. There are lots more of 'em than just two. :D:D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Dwight Ward

Registered

Sometimes the internet has way too much information about certain things. Unable to come up with any further names myself I typed 'dusty fluffy' into my search engine. Among the results was an article entitled ' Dust vs, Fluff - What's The Difference?'.
    That anyone would post this is a little .bizarre. I really don't need to know things like that. Nevertheless, from the article I come up with three additional names - 'Furry, Hairy and Feathery' '. That's completely all for me on this subject. I just don't want to think about it anymore .lol

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

As for Rabbit names, our 2 Parakeets are named Stormy and Wichita.

We have 11 pets:
    2 Canines
    2 Felines
    2 Avians
    5 Reptilians
    My wife takes care of them all.
    Hal

Dwight Ward likes this.