Anyone Have a Fairy Garden?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Maureen Suggitt, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Maureen Suggitt

Maureen Suggitt Veteran Member
    Registered

I guess I am the late bloomer to this world - but find them so imaginative and fun. I am thinking about building one either in a container for my porch or out in my back yard by an old tree. Butterflies, fairies and gnomes :)

Can't believe this whole world was going on without me being in on it - maybe it's because they are just now getting a lot of press and social media attention but I really just got clued in about a year ago.

Any members have one?

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have seen them on a gardening forum I belong to. I may do one this summer in a container. I like to go to the thrift store to pick up little things, a fairy garden would be a good place to put of the things I pick up.

What plants would you start with?

3. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't feel bad. I had never heard of such a thing until we moved into a new house , and one of our neighbors mentioned that she was going to grow one. She hasn't got around to it yet, so I still don't know what one would look like, up close and personal. LOL I'm going to Lowe's today, so I will be doing some research on it.

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

A friend of mine has 2 of what I call fairy gardens. I'm not sure what fairy gardens are actually supposed to look like, but hers are in ceramic pots, and contain small plants, rocks, shells, and tiny fairy statues. I love them, but haven't made one yet.I have taken pics of them, but the pics never come out good. If I get a good one, I'll try to remember to post it here. I do like fairies, though, and I have this on my balcony for the birds and squirrels (note broken wing), nothing's perfect around here.

Attached Files:

5. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I hate to admit it, being an avid gardener - but I'm clueless. What is a fairy garden? It sounds intriguing. When we are out hiking, we'll often see trees that have a hole in them near the base, and I always joke that Keebler elves live there.

6. Diane Lane

Registered

Haha, Mal, now I'm craving cookies! I looked for a pic, and lo and behold, they look pretty much like my friend's fairy gardens. Here's one, I guess the company specializes in them. I think they're cute. Some are even smaller, the size of tea cups and saucers, so it's pretty much limited by your taste and imagination.

Attached Files:

7. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Cute, and imaginative. Looks like an outdoor dollhouse. It would be fun to make the little decorations. Thanks for posting the photo.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Brittany Houser

Registered

I'm always craving cookies, but I guess I'll settle for a poptart.! LOL That is seriously the cutest thing I've ever seen! It looks like the tiny inhabitants have been running amok, and knocking over the tiny little flowerpots. I am going to try to make one, if my daughter will help me. She has the green thumb in our family.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Registered

You're welcome, Mal, and Brittany, if you do make one, I hope you post pics of it. It took me years of thinking to finally make my terrarium, so who knows how long it'll be before I actually make a fairy garden, but I agree, I love the look of them, and my garden could use a bit of whimsy. Here are a couple of pics of my terrarium. I included a shell, because I love them. terrarium.jpg terrarium inside.jpg terrarium inside.jpg

Brittany Houser likes this.
  10. Brittany Houser

Registered

Diane, this is so pretty! I would love to try things like this. My problem is, I have a brown thumb! I think I tend to over water everything. My daughter is determined to help me overcome it. LOL I will definitely post pictures if I manage to "create" my Fairy garden.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Diane Lane

Registered

Thanks, Brittany, I plan to add a little color to it, whenever I can remember to pick up a small flowering cactus. What I like about the terrarium, is that it's self-contained, and self-sustaining. I've put a little water in it, and because it's a closed system, the water stays within it, and it doesn't need to be watered much. I do occasionally check on it, and add a tiny bit of water if it needs it, since, although it's covered, it's not sealed. I have a bad habit of not remembering to water plants, so I only have plants that are pretty hardy. This might be a good idea for you, since it requires minimal care.

Brittany Houser likes this.
  12. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

All of you gave me the idea to make my own version of a fairy garden. My five year old great-granddaughter has alopecia, which is an auto immune desease that causes a person to loose their hair. Rachael had bright red hair, and the fairest skin I have ever seen, so she has never been able to play out in the sunlight as other children do.

I have an 45' X 70' area fenced off from the rest of my yard so I can do my gardening, which keeps it away from my three large dogs, and it is still close to the house. About 1/3 of the area is in the shade, so it dawned on me that I could build a fairy garden that Rachael could play in, and still be out of the direct sunlight. It is bigger than what has been shown here, but as I understand it there are no set rules. So here is what I came up with.

image.jpg image.jpg

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I also started a frog garden in my shady area. I got the plants from a water fowl resevior near my home. I used an old double sided soapstone sink that I found in the underbrush in a neighbor's back yard. I haven't seen one in use in a long time. It even has a built in washboard in the left side of the sink. It makes a good frog garden.

image.jpg image.jpg

Diane Lane likes this.
  14. Diane Lane

Registered

That's so cute, Ina, it reminds me of my friend's front porch, where she has her 2 little fairy gardens. She also has small stools and planters, as well as some decorative metal fencing!

15. Diane Lane

Registered

I found this little guy on the house yesterday. I think it's a tree frog, but I'll bet he'd love your frog garden. I love the soapstone sink!

Attached Files: