Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

China, Russia, India, Sri Lanka.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Agreed!

3. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

We have not been dancing in years,so I can't say for sure. However I ,myself would go and dance like I always have.Part of the problem is today's country is not Country anymore!

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

It's been literally years since we've done any country dancing. The last time was in 2001, while still living in So California. I had a hip replacement surgery done in Oct 2007, so that in itself pretty much ended our dancing.

Well, people can't 2-step, or any other kind of country dance, when the dance floor is packed with young people dancing rock-n-
    roll.

Most likely any place that would still do country dancing would be in Dallas, Texas, where there are some big nightclubs.

5. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

He will be there until pardoned by a good conservative President. Also his appeal might get him out long before the stars and moon are all aligned.

6. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Possibly might be because there are no true country singers or bands today. The last gasp of western swing in San Diego was in Pow Way Ca 4 miles outside of San Diego on the old Stage Coach Road just before the climb up the pass to go into San Diego. Now or I should say long before the dance hall was popular the International University was built mid level in the pass. The building that the juke joint was in was the actual Overland Stage Coach stop and afterwards the Post Office for Pow Way. I was working at the Ford Dealer in Kearny Mesa and myself and some Scott mechanic drove to the club and he had his girlfriend I had introduced to him. He had a nice Ford Van and went we left that club it was raining pretty hard and the only place I had to sit in the Van was on top of a TV he had sitting on the floor.

We came down the pass heading into San Diego right there at the area the University was and the Van did one of those water plane acts and spun around in the middle of the road 3 times. My friend was drunk as I was but the Van actually righted itself and was headed in the right direction. It was like one of those scenes in the keystone cops. It was a long drop off going down into that University area but we were sure lucky that night. So to get on with the Country music the club had a great band and singer still playing real western swing. The band was from Ramona Ca, a last stand ranch area in Southern Ca. I doubt seriously the club is still there but I think I will take a look with google earth.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Bert Davies

Bert Davies Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Anyone Else Want To Rant?

I'm too old for ranting, I'll just glare my eyes instead. :eek:

8. John Brunner

No doubt. It's a bunch of New Yorkers chasing the dollars. If their Country careers don't work out, they'll try Christian music next.

9. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

for shame ;)

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a rant.
    All of the requests for money with all sorts of gimmicks. Not just the pitiful dogs on the humane society ad with sad music and a sadder narrator. You can get a free T-shirt with contributions! They must spend more money on creating the ads, their legal department etc than I make in a year. I'd rather support rescues I know.
    To my right, I have a request from unicef. A wide eyed baby is sucking on a cellophane container of some kind of food. And the notice came with the statement, if I make a contribution this one time, they would never ask me for another ever again. Of course they don't say they won't sell this info to others. I looked up what the emergency food is and it is all the stuff they are warning about here in western diets. I might have sent them something if I hadn't. I liked World Vision. Haven't check on their use of funds lately.
    Then there are those saying they will multiply my donation 6X or whatever. How about I skip it and you just give the 5x without me?
    The political requests...It goes on.

11. John Brunner

I remember carrying around my orange UNICEF box when I went trick-or-treating as a kid. This was close to 60 years ago. That's 2-3 generations. I fear I may have helped make the problem worse. Things sure didn't get fixed. Looks like everyone got used, some worse than others.

Regarding critters: Some years ago, PETA got caught euthanizing "rescued" critters because they didn't want to spend the money on food. They got caught when someone outside the organization discovered a fridge full of dead dogs & cats. This happened in Virginia. Looks like everyone got used, some worse than others.

12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I never gave to any of the organizations directly. I have helped families going to St. Jude's by filling their car up with gas and paying for their motel stay. While I think St Jude's is the best, I had rather help directly with families in my community going to St. Jude.

When I see the United Christians Fund ad, with the little girl I can virtually adopt, by sending monthly support, now age 50, I have to pass or I see the suffering 90 year old lady in Israel that needs urgent medication and food and has for the last 20 years, I have to think she is doing alright now at 110. The least they could do is make some fresh ads.

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. John Brunner

This is why I enjoyed working with a local non-profit so much. We did home repairs for folks. The first job I worked on, we did a whole bunch of stuff...there were 10 volunteers there on the big work day. I drove to the hardware store and bought a screen door repair kit and an aluminum guard so the kids could push on the guard without popping through the screen. I picked up the stuff, drove back to the job site, and installed it myself. 100% of the money I spent went right to the person who needed it.

Be it through government or a large 501(c)3, there are a bunch of hands in the till between our good faith contributions and the people in need. One might say it's all by design.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  14. John Brunner

When doctors tell you to "get more fiber," why in the heck is whole wheat pasta their go-to advice for people? I can't count the number of times an MD--including my gastroenterologist-- has said "Eat whole wheat pasta" as though it's some miracle fix and the only tool in their kit.

A serving of regular pasta is 3 grams of fiber.
    A serving of whole wheat pasta is 6 grams of fiber.

So if you eat spaghetti once a week, that change will increase your average daily fiber intake by less than 1/2 gram. Big whoop.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  15. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Steak and taters is the only fiber I want. Now some carrots and broccoli would be nice too.

Thomas Windom and John Brunner like this.