Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you

2. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

No ..in dos claims no hard drive.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Thank you all for advise. I got on here first thing today to ask what you think best. I only do banking, bill paying web searches, download photos, emails, and course on here. :)..in this remote area if a place has a Walmart that's about it. But there is Amazon. The guy helping me is looking for me also.

Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Chrome or Windows ..? I have always had Windows.
    My laptop that just went out was Dell Lattude 3340. 14 in screen
    I liked it alot. What I don't like is using the built-in mouse, and on mine works not turn off.

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

My laptop is about shot but I hate using my I pad even though it has the keyboard cover. The hinges on mine were broken and I super glued them but didn't get them aligned back right so it doesn't close all the way. The keys are worn so I have to use the old typing method. It gets really hot and the fan only runs on low. I best look for a new one before this one black-screens me for good.

6. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Do you have a usb thumb drive you can insert just to see if it appears. You could use your windows disc to have it run repair and if the drive won't show it is probably bad. The repairman will probably remove the drive and plug it into a external reader docking station. Tools are cheap now and good shops should be able to narrow down a problem very fast. That thumb drive should show as a physical drive but it will be a non system disc so you should see the message non system on that drive. These newer laptops use SSD and not mechanical since they take up no space or use a lot of power. I've seen up to 2 TB available for desktop but Laptops have not been my choice for a system. A few minutes ago after feeding the cats I knocked over a complete of coffee on my desktop. Took me 30 minutes to move half of my equipment to mop and clean everything. It is not the first time I knocked over the cup ! No damage and I managed to wash and clean all the foot pads for monitors and one computer that was ground zero. Glad all my stuff has tall foot pads, it has been a life saver. Hope you can get your laptop up and running soon, without a great expense.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  7. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sounds like my Truck when you described the door hindges, except mine is do to rust and extreme age. The only good thing about my Truck is the step up runners on the cab, I can pull myself up and into the cab without crying too loud. Bad knees have a way of making anyone say "Uncle".

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I go to McDonald's maybe once a month. @Beth Gallagher recently commented on the cost of a Wendy's meal for she and her hubby. My usual Mickey D's meal is a burger ("The one you can slide under a door," as I tell the Order Taker when they ask for clarification), a McChicken sandwich, and a medium order of fries. I take the food home, so I don't buy a soda. The meal used to cost around $4.75, but these days it's closer to $9.00 (government math makes that about 6% inflation.)

I was reading the receipt, and the high-dollar item is the fries...$3.89 for a medium order!!!!! That's nearly what the entire meal used to cost. I guess if you gotta jack up your prices, you do it with your most popular product that your competitors do not sell. But dayum...

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The fast food places have had to up their game quite a lot, I think, in order to keep employees. Plus, the cost of the ingredients used has to have gone up considerably.

Krystal Shay and Don Alaska like this.
  10. John Brunner

This is the first time in my life I had to pull to the side and have my food brought out to me. I bet I waited over 10 minutes. There were 4 other cars waiting as well. I suspect staffing issues were the problem.

Gotta respect people who will get out of bed every day and show up to work in today's environment.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I haven't been to a McDonald's in years. Even longer--decades--for DQ, Wendy's and Burger King. We have gone to Carl's Junior once or twice a year, as they are the only ones we can count on to comply with my wife's dietary needs. I have no idea about costs there.

Krystal Shay and John Brunner like this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Isn't it odd that with increased prices in food, has done little in keeping people from going out to eat ? I do not know how people with children afford to feed them or themselves with such high prices.
    Good thing we are not prone to eating out.

13. John Brunner

I've often said all of the above, Hedi.

I mentioned a local Mexican restaurant I quit eating at because my last meal cost $30...and that's for one guy, no alcohol. The place is usually crowded.

I have a similar experience in the grocery stores, where I am in shock at what it costs to feed just me, and my thought go to my childhood in a family of 8.

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We usually eat out on weekends since those are my days off. :D I'm not surprised at the rise in fast food and restaurant prices because my grocery bill has doubled in the past year. We have seen major increases in our insurance (car and homeowner), utilities, gasoline... you name it. Businesses have those same increases and they pass them on. I'm sure that poor families are really struggling to keep their heads above water.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@John Brunner and @Beth Gallagher
    Moved to Ks. So far not seeing any savings of great. Gas is higher here than in TX. To get decent grocery price most travel 55 mi. By the time we reach store any cravings I had or gone once I see prices. To even get actual fast food,55 miles away.
    The only fast food we eat..us Walmart rotassire chicken on the way back from store. That is one
    thing Walmart does dang good at.
    And at $6.95 .. way cheaper than Mc Donald's.