Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My wife switched over to an Apple Card and she likes it because its points can be used against our Apple TV+ subscription. She said it makes it very easy to use ApplePay also at various retailers. I have Chase and have been thinking about switching to Apple. I have a lot of things auto-billed I’d need to switch around and haven’t felt like doing the leg work yet.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As an FYI, I've never had any problem with my Chase Visa.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a Verizon-branded card that lets me apply the rewards to my monthly bill. My bank's VISA card gives me cash that's deposited into my checking account, but the points are lower on most things than the Verizon card gives me (and putting the rewards towards my bill is as good as cash.) Plus Verizon gives me a $5 credit for paying my bill with their card, and another $5 credit for using auto-pay. The bill's still too high...

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Same here. We have had Chase Visa for years. Never had a problem with them. We pay the balance of our card every month. And… we have had our card hacked a couple of times too. The Card Company canceled the current card, sent a new one and we were not obligated to pay for the purchases that we didn’t make. No arguing about it. We are signed up to get text alerts if there are any suspicious purchases. We use to get paper billing for years then we switched to paperless and recently, I switched it to debit. I can pay the bill at the end of the billing period. I don’t like to wait till bills are due.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I earned over $600 in Amazon "rewards" last year with my Amazon Visa. I have other cards that also earn rewards, and we never carry a balance on any of them.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm about to abandon Verizon and have our cell service moved to Comcast/Xfinity. Verizon bumped our minimal-usage bill by over $20 a month and I'm irked.

John Brunner, Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I may look into the Amazon Visa. The problem with my Costco Visa is I have to drive 50 miles to use it at the store or be there in person to have them put it on a Costco shopping card. It doesn't make sense that they can't automatically put it on my Costco shopping card so I can use it online. I am tired of arguing with them.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My rant is about inflation and scarcity . I went to Walmart yesterday and bought four bags of stuff. It came to $131.51. I usually by the Walmart brand of supplementals but they were out of most of them.

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My online Costco account allows me to save a payment method. Each time I check out an order, I have to enter the "CVV" number but my account number, expiration date, etc. are all stored on the website. I'll add that I am no longer a paid member of Costco but I can order from their website by paying a 5% upcharge. I also read that they are probably going to increase the Costco membership fee this year.

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  10. John Brunner

I don't want to admit what I'm paying, but I use them for my internet. Verizon's internet cost (and plan features) vary depending on the base plan (if any) you have, so I'm kinda stuck.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I thought our cellphone service with them was priced OK ; two lines for $72 total per month. Of course we have the smallest data allowance (2 Gb??) Then last month they tried to force us to move to an unlimited data plan... wtf do we need that for?? When we refused, they increased our monthly bill by about $23. :mad: Luckily, we don't have a contract so we can move anytime we want. Just another hassle I don't feel like dealing with.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

Now that the cell market has matured and providers sometimes lease tower space from each other, I would think that the choice of carriers in urban areas does not really matter. It mostly matters if you travel, or if you live in the sticks as I do. There are people here who either get zero cell signal or they have to walk to a specific spot in their home to use the phone. Where my house is, at night with no leaves on the trees I can see the red light on my nearest cell tower off in the distance. There are no weak signal spots in my house, and very few spots on my property where I do not get a signal, even down where the creeks run. When I drive to the entrance of my right-of-way, I'm 1/2 mile further away from the tower than my house is, with a bunch of trees in the middle. Folks on the other side of that paved road don't get such good service.

It's not cheap, but I'm grateful to have it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. John Brunner

All that talk about scrapple made me hungry for it. I was in Walmart today (there's a 50/50 chance that will be an accurate statement on any given day) and they stopped selling scrapple!!!! I was at the self-checkout, I was whining about it to the employee who's working the corral all the time, and he told me that the Food Lion by his home has it on clearance all the time. It's too far for me to drive just for scrapple. And it cracked me up that he would even notice such a thing. Next time I'm in Charlottesville I'll pick some up. ALDI should carry it...they're German.

Subordinate Walmart rant·ish: I buy some supplements from Amazon, some from Walmart's website, and some from the store. I went to replenish my supplies, and their system shows quantities on hand when there are none on the shelf and none in the stockroom. These issues take forever to get fixed because store staff does not have the authority to adjust system quantities...there is a process to prevent theft...I worked with one woman for over 6 months to get a system problem with cheesecloth fixed (I shall never alter my inventory management genes.) I cannot order this from Walmart's website because orders for things they stock locally get routed to the store to be fulfilled from their inventory and hand-delivered. I'm not sure this one is gonna get fixed, since the woman I spoke with rushed off to work on other tasks and did not seem interested in beginning what must be a long, frustrating process. I went on line and filled out a placebo Customer Service form.

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Not a rant, but a complaint. Why do they make soap bars so small now? In no time at all they are too small to hold onto in the shower. I think they do it on purpose so you will have to buy more soap.

Usually I transfer the half bars from the shower to the sink soap dish. When there gets too many of them I melt them down and make new bars. Why? I guess I just can't stand to waste all that soap. :rolleyes:

This time I remembered an old Avon milk glass double seashell dish I bought on eBay years ago. With a drop of blue food coloring I made these two little recycled soap bars yesterday from a bunch of pieces. I didn't think they would turn out so cute, or I'd have done a better job of melting and molding them. Next time.

upload_2023-2-7_22-52-46.png

15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

How do you melt and remold, @Nancy Hart ?

Yvonne Smith likes this.