Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

So Cal Gas company has not taken phone calls from ANGRY customers re: Outlandish Gas Bills. I tried to get them all week, no deal.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I heard they were doubling the price of gas there. So sorry @Joy Martin.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

They raised the price of gasoline to almost double but people caught on across the country. Too much flack. So we countered it by emptying the Strategic Reserves to calm things.The Natural gas issues, caused by BIden shutting down pipelines and denying permits, pop up here and there. We need to get rid of gas to move us to wind and solar WHICH DO NOT WORK for the energy we need!

Faye Fox, Krystal Shay and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Biden emptied the Strategic Reserves and promised to refill them, but when a proposal was recently made to buy more oil to refill the Reserves, the Biden Administration refused the bidding process, so they are still--and will remain-- essentially empty.

5. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Just hearing my favorite radio guys and going off about all the OUTLANDISH prices and
    those with auto pay, don't realize the extremes going on here in CA.....until they see their bank accounts. People are calling in and saying they are not turning on heat and just being cold. This is not the end.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, if they can't afford CA prices, they can always move out.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've been in my place since 2010. I heat exclusively with wood, unless the temps get in the 50s or so, then I let the heat pump catch it. The highest January bill I've had until this year was under $100. My last bill was over $200.

The only electric appliance I have besides tv & laptop is my water heater. I cook with a gas stove. This is intentional. Our "government" is destroying us.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

They will do away with our wood stoves for their air pollution or carbon tax or whatever. Then we will all have to take up dancing to keep warm.
    Come to think about it, in Glen Beck's book, Agenda 21, everyone had to ride a stationary bike for a set amount of time to produce energy. (except for the powers that be)

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

My rant is that my body will no longer allow me to get down and replace my ice maker. I have done two in the past and the last time, 6 years ago, almost did me in. My first quote was $125 to come out and analyze it. I argued that I knew it was the ice maker so no testing was needed. They said they had to do it anyway and then the part would cost me $125 and then another $125 for labor. The first $125 didn't count toward the install labor so it would cost $375. I said that was robbery since I could give them the model number so no need to come out to analyze. They said no analyze no deal.

Out-of-the-area places tack on travel so I could be out $500 if I didn't like paying them the $375. I called the only other appliance repair we have in the area. I had to leave a message indicating it was a one-person operation. A guy returned my call and I explained that I had replaced the ice maker before and knew it was bad since it quit working and I didn't want to pay a service call just to hear it was bad. He said no problem ma'am, if can you give me the model number I won't need to come out for a service call. I gave him the model number and he said I will order it for you and it cost $125 and the labor to install is $85. $210 total put a smile on my face and the $85 labor so I didn't have to torture myself, was a bargain.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Our internet provider here insists we have to have a phone line. I know it is BS but agreed to it for now. $26.99 a month for something we never use. Sigh. My other r ant for today, is finally finding Owens sausage up here ,just to find out days later after eating one batch it expired in Nov 2022!:mad:

11. John Brunner

Satellite?

Regarding outdated stuff, I drove almost an hour to an Amish market just for something to do (like feeding their goats.) On impulse, I bought a package of scrapple. I was delighted to have found some genuine Amish scrapple!!! The next day I got ready to fire some up, and like your sausage, it had expired months earlier...and I was not gonna make a 2 hour round trip to exchange it. As you said: :mad:

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Grrrrrrr. I ordered another Aerogarden and a seed starting kit so that I can start plants for my outside garden. They both were delivered about an hour ago, and neither was in an Amazon cardboard box... just the flimsy product packaging. The seed starting kit had obviously been opened and there was no "kit"... just the plastic tray but none of the planting pods, fertilizer, etc. :mad:

I notified Amazon and they are sending out another one, but it will be Wednesday and I have to return the one I got today. The option for a UPS pickup is no longer a part of their exchange process so it will be up to me to drive to a dropoff point. I am this much closer to not renewing my Prime membership. "Less Service For More Money!"

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

what is scrapple

14. John Brunner

Scrapple is also called pon hoss (or pan haus, or Pannhaas.) You simmer the remnants from butchering a hog, the bits of meat fall off the bone into the broth, you add spices, then you add corn meal and put it in a loaf pan to set. Then you slice it, dust with flour and pan fry it. Some people say that scrapple and pon hoss are not the same thing, while others use the terms interchangeably. Some put syrup on it...I do not.

You can get it in any grocery store:

Scrapple.jpg

It's very tasty, and it has less fat than traditional breakfast meats because it's mostly just flavored cornmeal mush.

15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

An uncle of mine who was conversant in such Pennsylvania Dutch stuff used scrapple and pannhass interchangeably, but head cheese was another thing.

John Brunner likes this.