Anyone Do Any Home Canning?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Marie Mallery, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed how many truly bad, dangerous drivers there are these days? Of all ages, too.

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Yikes! I just looked at youtube and this is the only one doing it humanely.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't think I have ever killed just one chicken for eating. When we had the kids home, we would do 20 or so chickens at a time and I think the milk jug would be to slow as you still have to pluck and clean them after slaughter. We no longer raise meat chickens and only kill old hens that are suitable to can after their laying life it over. You can also buy these but the milk jug would work just as well for small groups of birds. Be aware that the old fashioned dual-purpose birds are the ones to get if you also plan to use them for slaughter, but you will sacrifice a little bit of egg capacity for the meat.

I did my batch of "Cowboy Candy Relish" last night. The standard way to make it is jalapeno slices, but I am not fond of the taste of jalapenos so I use other hot peppers, generally hotter and cut the sugar by half. I used to make the slices, but I found it was much more convenient to make the relish. I use it on hot dogs and sandwiches all the time and my wife uses it on her grain-free crackers with fake cream cheese snacks. My favorite way to use hot peppers. I got ten half-pint jars. Wife is roasting tomatoes for canning at the moment as our canning season is winding down.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

A warning to those who do home canning. Some marketers of vinegar are putting 4% vinegar in their bottles instead of 5%, which is standard and required by all canning recipes I have seen. Also, there are many reports of defective lids on the market. I don't know if these are American or Chinese. The Chinese are marketing canning supplies with an American flag on the container, leading the uninformed to assume the products are U.S. made. They are manufactured in China and no where on the packaging does it say "made in U.S." but the American flag leads some to assume that it is a U.S. product.

I have gotten yelled at by dumb people when I try to explain that you shouldn't use home made vinegar for canning. They don't understand that it involves more than just pH. You would have to be able to titrate the percentage of acetic acid in your product to determine if your home made product meets standards. It is fine to use home made vinegar for salad dressings and for refrigerator pickles and such, just not for that which is going to be canned and sitting at room temperature.

5. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have seen that on other products as well.:mad:

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A less trusting person might think this is yet another attack on people having an independent food supply.

7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I think there are some attacks on home canning, but the vinegar may be due to an acetic acid shortage I assume is due to weapons manufacture for Ukraine. I am told the industrial stocks have been depleted so they are using food stocks.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  8. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

My friend who makes the pickled cucumber recipe ( but uses young zucchini’s in place of cues ) used a “ home brand”
    vinegar in one occasion, however the pickles didn’t keep they “went off” slimy … IMG_9171.gif yuck …and she binned the lot , so anytime I’m using / making relish I buy the name branded vinegar which is now known as Vine valley vinegar ( it was known as suppelts vinegar )
    https://www.barossamag.com/local-advice/barossa-history/seppelts-not-just-wine/ so it doesn’t pay to use inferior products
    @Don Alaska

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  9. Mary Stetler

Registered

I found the percent of acid on the label and noticed a decrease in some. Lots of vinegar is used for cleaning now (green) so maybe the manufacturers think cutting back would be OK for them.
    At Fleet Farm, the vinegar is labeled for canning but thanks for the heads up Don Alaska.
    I think the lids from normally American companies are made in China now too. I have noticed skips and deformities on the rubber occasionally-- even on Ball lids.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I haven't seen that yet as we have quite a few lids stored, but I have wondered if the reports of defective lids included the traditional American companies. I think Superb supplies are American-made and quite a few are turning to them. Here is a link to their website. They were founded to supply the Amish with canning supplies since many items on the market did not meet their high standards. Some are also turning to supplies made by French companies, as they are reusable but quite pricey for large amounts.

4% vinegar would probably be fine for cleaning purposes too. Good catch!

Mary Stetler likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

A woman my wife communicates with on Facebook posted that she "canned" vegetable soup. "Since there were no beans in the soup, I heated it up, poured it into jars, put the lids on and everything sealed fine." Two weeks later, she posted that several of her jars "exploded". How could that happen? "I guess I should have water bath canned them instead of just sealing them." Perhaps this woman was contriving ways to kill her family. She should have pressure canned them, not water bathed, and certainly not just sealing hot liquid. She essentially was culturing botulism. ?Might be good for a facial to tighten up those sagging mental muscles?

Kate Ellery and Marie Mallery like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Ironic just last evening talking to daughter on the phone about canning beans and she said she could put them in a hot bath, I told her the same thing you posted.
    We have a great canner but it cost a few hundred dollars about 15 or more years ago, no telling what they cost today.
    We have about 25lb.s of beans to can in next few weeks.

Kate Ellery and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Registered

I actually had one of my pickled bean jars explode while it was IN the canner. I guess it must have had a crack around the bottom.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

From the information my wife has, the woman just poured hot soup into the jars and sealed them, then left the rings on (probably screwed too tight) so when the gas developed in the jars it couldn't blow the lids off and ended up exploding multiple jars all over the walls of the room she had them stored in. It may have saved her family members' lives though.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Goodness Mary, maybe this is a warning to be careful next canning we do. Think it could be the jars?