Any Veterans Or Heroes Here? Know/known One?

Discussion in 'People I Have Known' started by Lara Moss, Sep 27, 2015.

1. In 1967, my brother was serving in Vietnam, U.S.M.C.
    My family did not have a very high opinion of Clay/Ali. And if anyone's familiar with his quotes on the subject, they're not quotes of a conscientious objector who's morally opposed to war.

Lara Moss likes this.
  2. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

My dad served in WWII in the Field Artillery. Was a farm boy so worked the mule teams that pulled the artillery guns through Austria.

One of my wife's uncles was killed when his bomber crashed in Germany 10 days before the German Army surrendered.

One of my uncles was killed in the Korean War. We weren't close to that family and I never heard the circumstances.

Our son is career Army. He served combat missions in Iraq with the 82nd Airborne. Loves jumping out of perfectly good airplanes and running marathons. Now with the 5th Special Forces Group out of Fort Campbell, KY. One of the most decorated American Culinary Society Chefs currently serving in the military. It's a long story....... My wife and I will visit his family the second week in December to celebrate and late Thanksgiving and an early Christmas... if he's not deployed. Seems to have this "sudden disappearance" thing going since being assigned to the 5th. :>)

Lara Moss likes this.
  3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

That's interesting, Will. You have so many relatives who have served….all over the world. That's incredible. I'm very grateful for their contributions. Thank you for telling us.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No, I was among the few in my high school graduating class who didn't end up in Vietnam. One of my older brothers and my younger brother were in the Army, the former in Vietnam and the latter in South Korea and Germany. At one time, I was thinking of enlisting and mentioned that to my older brother, who was in Vietnam at the time. He sent a roster of the people he had been in boot camp with, marking off those who were no longer alive.

My father enlisted in the Army during World War II and served for the duration. He was in the Pacific and, for a time, was a prisoner of the Japanese, although not a POW; as he described it, you had to be held in a designated POW camp in order to have Prisoner of War status, while he was a prisoner of the Japanese on an island, held in a pit for a long period of time, until the United States regained control of the island.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    Lara Moss likes this.
  5. I had a few in the Civil War, including my mother's grandfather who met Pres. Lincoln, and an 18-year-old ancestor who was captured and died 5 months later at Andersonville prison;
    Paternal grandfather & his brother served in WW I;
    During WW II, my father was a medic on a hospital ship, his youngest brother & my mother's youngest brother were stationed at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed, another uncle was an MP in Panama;
    My oldest brother served in Vietnam, youngest brother served stateside;
    The youngest of my kids is currently in the military, and so are two of our cousins.

Lara Moss likes this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been researching my ancestry for the past few months and realized that my grandparents had more sons that daughters all of which had served in the military. After my mother past away I was left with all her photos she had cherished over the years and I found this one of my uncle Donnie. I don't know the history but it looks like when he may have been in training when this photo was taken. He died several years ago. I have a niece who is serving in the Airforce and nephew who is now in Afghanistan as a military policeman. My husband is a veteran of the U.S. Navy.

Donnie #2 001.jpg

7. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh Von, what an amazing photo…an incredible find. I love the character marks of worn edges and folded marks but I also love the beauty of the photo itself. A professional can repair all of the lines that weren't part of it originally, maybe enlarge it for you, and then you could frame them both.the original and the restored one.
    Good for you to research your ancestry and find this invaluable heritage of military service.

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Lara. I often wonder which was taken first.:rolleyes:

9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

…maybe the same day

10. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Veteran Member
    Registered

One of my aunts, serving as a nurse in the Pacific, was interred for two years by the Japanese. I saw the keloid scars on her back. Amazingly, she held no hatred in her heart. She was my role model in many ways. Part of the reason I work with vets, is to honour her memory. RIP ma belle.

Bobby Cole and Lara Moss like this.
  11. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

That's very touching Sacheen. She was a very special lady.

Sacheen BrightEagle likes this.
  12. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you so much Lara.

Lara Moss likes this.
  13. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

30 months in Viet Nam CWO on Huey Gunship, later a K9 handler after injury, father WW2 Army, uncle WW1 Army

vn.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Me, too, although a couple years later. I enlisted in 1970.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just a vet. 1968-69, U.S. Army 82nd Airborne UH-1C, UH1-D door gunner attached to the 191st Assault Helicopter Co. Bin Hoa, wounded, grounded and transferred for the remaining 4 months to the 195th Assault Helicopter Co. Long Binh Vietnam as an Aircraft Electrician.