Any One Go To An Auction?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Von Jones, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I remember I was invited to go to an auction with neighbors several years ago, I believe in the 80s. It was my first time. I had such a ball! Listening to the auctioneer and the bidders I got all caught up in it. Luckily, my neighbors drove a van because I bought more than they did. We joked about it all the way home.

The experience got me hooked on auctions. It took me awhile to learn the ropes and yes I did make a boo boo once but I sold the item on Ebay and made more than I paid for it. I really loved the box lots. That's where the winning bidder gets first choice of boxed items at the cost of the winning bid - each. The bids would go high at first and then lower as the boxes dwindle. I won a lot of yard tools for $1 and my mom was with me and asked, What are you going to do with all those tools? All the men present turned around waiting for my answer which was "I dunno.":eek:.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

My neighbor across the street is an auctioneer, so I've been to a few of his auctions. Other than that, I went to an auction near Corona, California when I was in my early twenties. After watching a few saddles bid up to five or six hundred dollars, just for fun I bid two hundred on a saddle. The bidding stopped there, so I bought a saddle that I didn't need for a horse I'd never have. I had that saddle sitting over sawhorse in my living room for years, then at some point it disappeared. I guess someone stole it because it was too big to misplace.

3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My dad loved auctions and took me to a few as a child. Then I got hooked on them as I got older. After I was married, wifey got hooked too, and that became our Saturday routine. Attending auctions, or yard sales.

4. Mari North

Mari North Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've enjoyed the auctions I've been to. There used to be a local one every single Friday night and they had such cool things! There were food stands, and Bingo... just a great activity for a Friday evening. Only downside was that it was always totally filled with smoke and breathing became something that could be difficult at best.

I've also been to some Public Auctions for estate sales and real estate. Not nearly as much fun as the other kind. :)

Diane Lane and Von Jones like this.
  5. Von Jones

Registered

There was one auctioneer which I really liked because he had a good sense of humor. When no one would take the hook somehow he would always focus on me for $1 dollar bids and things would get rolling. I would win some but lost a lot.

6. Mari North

Mari North Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh, aren't those dollar wins wonderful, @Von Jones ?! I used to get large boxes of books for $1 and it was always like a treasure. One time I found a very old book of Josephus in one of those boxes!

7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have gone to auctions in the past. There is a company kind of near here that does them. I have been to their food auctions before where somebody with a decent freezer could make out like a bandit. Mine is oddly configured due to the water dispenser, and I can barely fit a pizza in the box in there!I need to go to another one of their auctions. They also auction antiques and so forth. Your discussion has inspired me to look at their schedule Von.

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Registered

Oh yeah. They are awesome! I would lose out on those at that time it seem like everyone was into books. One time I won a lot of two tables of books, all kinds for $10. Cookbooks especially. I sold a lot of those on Ebay but still have those that are for specific ethnic recipes. They always sell.

Ike Willis likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I've only gone and helped set up live auctions that were fundraisers for my grandsons school. Did that every year for a long time because my daughter was on the committee.

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Von Jones

Registered

@Chrissy Page that sounds like something that I would like to do -- getting behind the scenes and helping set up. I had tried several times to get on at a public tv auction but never got called.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Von Jones

Registered

My husband tagged along for a while. He would always say that my face would light up once the auction started. He never participated but did help with loading my spoils.:D

Ike Willis likes this.
  12. Ike Willis

Registered

My town had a sale barn where auctions were held either on Friday nights or Saturday morning. We attended lots of household auctions, usually held in the yard of the house.
    Farm auctions usually took several days, and lunch was available on the grounds, often by the country church the seller attended.
    At one time, our whole living room was furnished with auction or yard sale stuff. Thank God I had a truck in those days.:)

13. Von Jones

Registered

I went to a farm auction just for the fun of it. I didn't think that I would find anything among all the machinery. Johnny thought I was out of my league and was ready to leave. It became interesting when it was announced that there will be two auctions going at the same time - one for the machinery and the other for personal items in the home Whoo hoo! Unfortunately I was outbidded except for an old wiener/hot dogs rotisserie for $2. I still have it and it works. We had driven quite a ways and I didn't want to leave empty handed.

Attached Files:

Diane Lane, Joe Riley and Ike Willis like this.
  14. Ike Willis

Registered

Wifey and I was at a farm auction once. They were selling the household stuff and there was a large crowd. We got separated in the crowd, but when they started the bidding on a picnic table, I joined in. We had a large yard and needed one.
    Someone kept bidding against me. I finally won. Later, I found wifey. She told me she wanted that picnic table, but some jerk kept outbidding her.o_O

15. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I haven't experienced an auction although I find bidding an exciting experience. However, some colleagues said that I should not join an auction if I don't clearly know all the rules. There is the thing called outbidding to mean the other bidder is bent on beating your bid no matter how high. Sometimes, that incessant bidder is connected to the seller, that is to get a higher price for the auctioned item. But don't take this a gospel truth, for as I said, I don't have an experience in auctions.

16. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

For me, it was my mom who loved auctions, and from the time I was little, I remember going to the local auction barn with her. They sold everything from cows and horses to miscellaneous household items and boxes of stuff.
    There was a little cafe that had coffee, pop, and hamburgers; so we could stay most of the day and watch and not be starving.
    After I grew up and was married, The kids and I went to the weekly auction, and it was like the family outing for the week. They sold household stuff in the morning, and livestock in the afternoon, and had two different auctioneers; so sometimes both auctions were going for most of the day.
    People would buy a box of unknown items, go through it at home , and take the rest back to the next auction to re-sell.
    The local A&W drive-in had coneys for sale 5/$1; so for $2-$3, we had all of the coney-dogs we wanted to eat for dinner that night. It was great that they picked the coney day to be the same day as the auction sale, and I am sure they were busy all day long making and selling those coneys.

Ike Willis and Von Jones like this.
  17. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Active Member
    Registered

My last employer before I got my stroke was an Australian auctioneer. We get all our items imported from Australia. But not everything since we also import from factories in China. Most of the products were seconds yet quality and Australian brands. My boss, an Australian are buying x-products, surpluses, seconds and returns from factories and malls all over Australia, New Zealand and later on China. So most should I say have slight factory defects, dents or discoloration but all are good and working. We import them by containers and upon arrival here in our 2 warehouses on separate locations, our men would work on them to fix and refurbish them to look as best and good as the new ones. Once quality passed, the units will be sent to our auction sites and auction partners. I again have the opportunity to travel all over the Philippines because of this work in this company because auctions are done on several location sites. I got to learn how auction works and how business runs. I agree it was really fun watching and participating in the auctions which I needed to experience since its our trade and business. Then, I also got the chance to work online with a California-based client who was an online auctioneer, an eBay and Amazon trader. He was trading mostly business machines and electronic gadgets. I was his bookkeeper tending his online sales and recording all his bank transactions.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  18. Ike Willis

Registered

At one farm auction, there was a hay rack loaded with cardboard boxes of small items from the house and barns. They wouldn't let anyone look in them. You took your chances.
    The auctioneer would usually start the bid at a dollar on each box. Most often, the first fifty cent bid won. Wifey went crazy, bidding a half buck on each box, winning more often than not.
    They were getting down to the last few boxes. The auctioneer started the bid at the usual dollar. There was a pause in the bidding, so he looked at my wife and said, "what's my fifty cent gal say"? The crowd started laughing. Wifey wasn't quite sure how to take that.:)

19. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Way back in the 80's my girl friend and I went to a silent auction. It was interesting without a sound people bid with paddles. We left early because she couldn't afford where the prices were going. I now want to sell my things at auction locally McClain's Ultimate Attic auctions: http://www.mcclainsultimateattic.com/upcoming-auctions. I haven't heard from them yet though.

20. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That sounds interesting @Krissttina Isobe, let us know how it goes.

I've been to lots of tag/yard/garage sales and also estate sales, but never an auction, although I've always wanted to attend one. Hopefully at some point in the future, I'll be able to do that. I have watched the shows where they do the storage unit auctions a time or two, but my favorite auctions to watch are on Texas Flip and Move. The show is based in North Texas, by Forth Worth, and consists of about 3 teams who purchase smaller homes or buildings at auction on site, then move them to their lot, where they rehab them and sell them for profit. The show airs on the DIY Network, and now it seems the repeats are showing on Great American Country channel.

Krissttina Isobe and Von Jones like this.
  21. Von Jones

Registered

I lost interest in the storage unit auctions when the repeats started. I have watched Texas Flip and Move but don't always remember that it's on. I should start recording that. There was one episode where the young couple won an auction for an old dilapitated house it was mainly the husband who wanted the house. Once he won the auction he was told that it couldn't be move and he tried to move it anyway and it came tumbling down. The other teams were sitting in chairs just to watch what was inevitable. Not too much of a loss but a loss just the same.

Diane Lane likes this.
  22. Krissttina Isobe

Registered

:(We have on Oahu McClain Auctions...McClain's Ultimate Attic Auctions. They are located right across Honolulu Police Dept. I with my not so good camera sent them pictures of some things I have for sale, but unfortunately for me they are not interested and referred me to ebay.com to sell my things. I like to get it all going one day, but without a computer at home I am at a lost and without a good camera I'm at a bigger lost for no one can see my things I have for sale. So right now I'm just riding the tides and researching the other end for selling things. People buy from thrift stores and resale at ebay. I sea a designer bag and wanted to buy it for resale, but left if for other sellers to buy. The auction I went to with my friend was by invitation only and my friend had the invitation and I just went to keep her company. I have not gone to McClain's auction locally, yet. I saw people sell things on tv too like Pawn Stars family went to sell a classic car and ended up buying a car too. I guess if you don't get caught up in the action and can be strong to hold to a certain amount t spend you'll be alright. I'm on the other end right now researching things. Good luck in finding an auction to go to!:p

23. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

On the most recent episode, Gary's Girls (the Snow Sisters' nieces) won a nice home at auction, but they bid before checking to see if their father could move it. They had a two week period to get it moved, and if not, faced a penalty of around $1,000. Not only could their dad not move it, but none of the other house movers were available, so they ended up losing the home, which was demolished, and also had to pay the penalty. I'm sure they won't repeat that mistake.

@Krissttina Isobe You could try this group. I think they serve your area. If that doesn't work, assuming you're talking about furniture, you could look into consignment places, especially ones that would pick up and transport the pieces. I can relate, I like the idea of having it all done at once, and I've been trying to sell a few pieces for a while, but no where here seems to pick up/transport, and I don't have a vehicle to do so.

Von Jones and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  24. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@ Diane Lane, they sometimes have property or maybe even home auctions in this development. However, I think the starting prices are pretty high, especially if it is waterfront. My family was telling me about a farm that came with a home up in their area, that they realtors to auction off, and it got little or no action. I don't think it ever sold.

25. Krissttina Isobe

Registered

:)Thanks for the help and info...will look into it.