Any I95 Recommendations For Me?

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Mari North, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

It's almost that time again for me to be headin' down good ol' I95 for a week and a half on the road. It's both exciting and frightening depending on which day you ask me. :confused:

I've seen things along that 1000 mile stretch of road that I wish I'd never seen. I know the dangers but there really isn't a better option. And I guess anyone could come across seeing people die on any road in any state, so I try not to think about that... just wish it wouldn't happen so often.

Anyhow, (get to the point! :p ) any recommendations for hotels or food along the way? (Richmond to Jacksonville.) Please not Pedro's South of the Border Mexican Restaurant... been there, done that, broke a tooth and will not return because I *like* my teeth. Southern foods... BBQ joints... that's what I'd like to find. I've tried a number in the last 12 years or so, but always looking for new stops.

Most important would be pet friendly hotels that are not dives. I've found some great hotels along the way, but that often means they're booked solid.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that area at all. Why are you going?

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Mari, when you get to the Rocky Mount exit, take Hwy 64 to Nashville. Turn left on the Spring Hope-Momeyer exit. About a mile on the right, there is Doug Saul's Barbecue. They have a sign at the driveway. It's just a little place but they have the best REAL barbecue you ever sunk your teeth into. They are closed on Monday and Tuesday, though. It's less than ten miles out of your way and I guarantee it will be worth it.

Let me know if you stop there and I'll meet you for lunch. :D

Mari North likes this.
  4. Mari North

Registered

Thank you, Shirley! And if I do, I'm buying. :) It sounds wonderful and exactly the type of place I had in mind. Rocky Mount is often one of the overnight stops. I've seen the Nashville exit, but never took it... what's the one I take for hotel? Hmmmm..... Exit 145... Highway 48. Yes, I think that's it. Monday and Tuesday... well, if I push it, it would be Sunday arrival and if not, then Monday so it would have to be on the return trip which would be probably the following Wednesday, so that would work. @Shirley Martin

5. Mari North

Registered

Annual road trip, @Chrissy Page ... half pleasure, half business trip.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I just look up Intersate 95 and exit 145, and that is the one stretch of road I've never traveled, although I have always wanted to. Isn't there a lot of snow and bad weather at this time of the year. Be very careful @Mari North. If it hadn't been so far away I was going to see if I could get an invite for lunch too. But I hope you and Shirley have fun. If any of you get to within a 4 hour drive of Houston, I'll buy lunch.

Mari North and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Mari North

Registered

That would have been all kinds of fun, @Ina I. Wonder ! Houston, huh? I've never been anywhere near Texas, *but* I do have a nephew teaching in Dallas, so who knows if I'll get to visit sometime. Of course, I have no idea how close those two are, and Texas is a biiiiiig state.:)

I95 runs all the way from Maine to Miami. I usually like it... well, when away from Richmond (the very worst traffic EVER) and Washington D.C. (brutal but not like Richmond.) Oh, and Jacksonville. But there are nice stretches, too... like all of Georgia... beautiful!

I usually come back with a horror story of some kind... some are gruesome... and some are frightening like the Richmond stories. For some reason, it's pouring rain there 80% of the times I'm there... and no one slows down. 4 and 5 lanes going fast on the Interstate without being able to SEE in the blinding rain, and they don't slow DOWN. :mad:

8. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Well ladies, Dallas is doable. Just let me know.

So far I have driven from Houston to California, straight up to Canada, (they wouldn't let me in, not enough money in my pockets), then straight across the country to Boston. All in one trip, by myself except for babies, and in January. This was back in 1970 and I didn't even know what snow tires or antifreeze was.

Then last spring I went to Huntsville Alabama, and I've visited many of the inner states. Last fall I couldn't believe the craziness of city traffic in California. Fortyfive years sure made a big difference.

I love to drive, but I do hate to hit traffic is cities I'm not use to. Houston is big, but I know all the back roads to get around the traffic, so I pretty comfortable driving around here.

Mari North likes this.