Any Big Vegetable Gardeners Here?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Don Alaska, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't have an Aerogarden, but we do start a lot of things inside. I started 26 varieties of tomatoes inside--several hundred plants in total--as well as peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, corn, onions, and many herbs. We started out selling our excess plant inventory, but there was such a demand, we now do it as a small business and bring in a couple thousand extra dollars in the Spring, as well as cover all our own garden supplies. I now have four greenhouses, as many things won't grow outside here as it is too cool. Only one of the houses is fairly large, though, 16' x32'. The others are smaller, but help a lot producing food. We sell some produce as well, mostly carrots, beets, and cabbage (outside crops). We started all this to produce food for our family, but the 6 children are gone now, so we have extra to sell.

Babs Hunt and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That's a good way to make some extra money @Don Alaska....especially if you love gardening. :)

My Honey and I are down to growing just a couple of veggie plants each year as that is plenty for us. I chop and bag enough bell pepper to last through the winter meals and we really enjoy home grown tomatoes too. I'm to busy helping with my grandbabies to take care of a big garden, and my Honey likes growing his regular potted plants more than veggies. He still works part time too, so neither one of us has the time for big gardening anymore, nor do we really have the growing room for this either.

You can bet though if we lived around you we definitely would be buying some of those garden fresh veggies from you. :)

3. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We have 70 tomato plants, 30 pepper plants, and 5 eggplants in the greenhouses. There are a number of cucumbers also. Pole beans will be going into the greenhouses in a few days. Bush beans are grown outside but won't go in until next week. We would be glad to share if you were here. Maybe you can tour up here sometime. We are planning a brief trip to Louisiana next fall, as my wife has never been there.

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Here is what our own variety of lettuce looks like. A little romaine, a little leaf type:

[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.