Antibiotics Can Kill Your Appetite

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My appetite is usually excellent but with all the anti biotics I have been taking my appetite has suffered. I researched this.

Do they use antibiotic drugs for weight reduction?

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They advise us to take antibiotics on a full stomach because they are so harsh, so it makes sense they can kill your appetite. I've taken cipro before and don't recall that affect, but there's very little that can get between me and a meal and live to tell about it.

Maybe you can get some steroids from your doctor to offset the effect if you fear losing weight.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Why would they be giving you antibiotics if you have a virus?

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Duh. Good point.

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I suspect the antibiotics are being used to prevent secondary infections due to the viral infection. Azithromycin is a common one for Covid.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Janice Lynne

Janice Lynne Well-Known Member
    Registered

Dunno about weight reduction, but I once had co-worker who was a heavy smoker until she took a course of antibiotics. The med somehow skewed her senses of taste and smell, and made cigarette smoke seem permanently disgusting to her.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I would rather I not have an appetite if I were taking antibiotics. One of the key possible side effects of taking anti’s is constipation so nothing going in means not worrying about nothing coming out.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Given that COVID can affect your ability to taste foods, I would think that COVID would affect your appetite.

Bobby Cole, Don Alaska and Lon Tanner like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Not that I would like to get sick but having the inability to taste and smell for a short period interests me.

Many are the times when I can actually taste and smell certain things without being exposed to them at the time. e.g. Grandma’s custard pies in the oven or for that matter, baking bread. BBQ chicken on the grill or a pot roast on the stove. By thinking of them, I can taste and smell them as if they were directly in front of me.

What I am interested in is if my memory of the taste and smell of a bit of food would take over perchance that part of the olfactory system is hampered.
    It isn’t as if the food has been embittered or even made better but rather, I would think the lack of taste and smell would be a blank and wherever there is a particular sense lacking, the other senses, or memory of what those senses once produced might fill in that blank.
    If one suddenly loses their sight they still remember what a lamp or the wall switch feels like and a picture remains in our memories of what they look like so I do wonder.

10. John Nopales

John Nopales Well-Known Member
    Registered

Antibiotics starve the cells, raise blood pressure, and wipe out the body's beneficial bacteria, thus destroying a person's immunity. I would never use any antibiotics for anything.

I have used numerous parasite cleanses over the last few decades with good results, and plan to keep using them.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

What you have written is true and I too am against anything that would hamper my own body’s immune system’s ability to self modulate antibodies.
    That said, if I have something such as pneumonia or any other major bacteriological infection that would require say, penicillin, then that’s what I’ll have to take.
    Under normal conditions, there are many ways to reboot our immune system back to where it needs to be after a bout with an internal infection so to me, the decision to incorporate antibiotics on a minimal scale is of little worry.

One thing I always have on hand is a triple antibiotic to prevent and treat topical infections. There’s rarely a day that goes by when I do not break the skin and draw blood because of what I do nowadays and most of the time, whatever I have cut myself on is pretty nasty so depending on soap and water to completely cleanse an area can be a thing of just going through the motions with little effectiveness.

Do Note: Not all parasites are bacteria nor are all bacteria parasites. Parasitic cleanses do not kill all dangerous bacteria the same as antibiotics do not kill all parasites. In any case, we have to make a good informed choices as to what we’re actually up against.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. John Nopales

John Nopales Well-Known Member
    Registered

My preference is to keep my body healthy and my immune system in top condition, not to totally wipe it out. As long as my immune system is healthy, any errant bacteria are of little concern to me. If my immune system was in bad shape, then I'd take major steps to get it balanced again, but in none of those instances would I use any drugs.

Starving the cells, raising the blood pressure way out of whack, and destroying the body's immunity to supposedly fight a bacteria would not make any sense to me. I would be far more concerned with keeping such dangerous drugs out of my body.

For cuts and gouges I simply clean the wound, rub powdered sulfur into the injured tissues, and use duct tape or a bandage to cover until healed enough to no longer be needed. The process is repeated every few days or so. I had a bad wound from the end of a bolt that rammed through the under side of my forearm a few weeks ago, which now is completely healed. I have never used antibiotics on a cut nor on any other kind of a wound.

I don't do parasite cleansings to kill bacteria, but rather to cleanse my system and help to keep it in balance.

My system is healthy and consists primarily of beneficial healthy bacteria in which any potentially harmful bacteria are not able to survive.

Likewise I've done three liver cleanses, which were quite beneficial and I will do them again.

I used to make kimchee in a 5 gallon bucket on the floor. Every week I would add more Napa Cabbage plus a large mix of other ingredients, and then cover them with a plate. This went on and on every week for more than a year, on the floor of my kitchen. Where were all the harmful bacteria? If there were any of them there, then I ate them with the rest and it was quite good.

Yes I'm sure there are people who would dump antibiotics and drugs into the kimchee to make sure everything was dead before eating it. But that's not me, because I prefer to be healthy.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I was in no way refuting your preferences but merely pointing out that there are times when antibiotics become life savers. When I had viral pneumonia coupled with a minor stroke which landed me in a hospital for 2 weeks, no amount of home remedies would have saved my life.
    I had to take what I didn’t like but I’m here today to talk about it.
    I had and have to face one particular fact and that is prior to penicillin, (almost 90 years now) only about 18% of those who contracted pneumonia lived.

That said, your preferences are yours and I doubt seriously if anyone here will try to talk you out of them because after all, you have to look out for you do you not? Your whole lifestyle is more than likely completely different from mine but again, you are you and I am me.

Note: As a 71 year old bodybuilder, I hate anything piercing my skin with a chemical in it which is why I am not on any list for a CV shot. Everything I take is highly researched before I make it part of my arsenal of health products which is one reason why I am still able to do what I do whilst others seemingly cannot.