Another Sign I'm Officially Old

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Sarah Price, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

So a while back I was watching a movie on Netflix which was a foreign language film. So I turned on the subtitles feature so I could understand what they were saying. I ended up not turning the feature off because I found it really helpful. There are so many times I can't understand the mumbling some of the actors do and now I can just read what they were saying. I don't think it's because my hearing is going, I just don't understand mumbling very well. So now I'm like an old, hard of hearing person who needs to read rather than hear what is going on, on the TV!

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It may not be the same thing but I have trouble sometimes, particularly with movies (and there are too many of them) that seem to play the music at one volume, and speaking at a much lower volume. I can't remember which now, but I quit watching one series that looked like it might be good because every time they had a character playing music, either at home or at a party, the volume was so loud that it would hurt my ears. So I'd turn the volume down, only to find that I couldn't hear what anyone was saying. I hate trying to listen to someone talk over loud music in real life, and it's no better on television.

3. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I make no secret of it, sometimes I have no idea what people are saying to me, there are people that are just awful, they will turn their heads away or just speak to low. People mumble and talk very fast, or they might use some slang like term that I don't understand.

One of my co-workers is deaf, he wears hearing aids and when it is hot and he gets sweaty he has to take them out because the water makes it so that they won't work. So for the most part we shout at each other all day because we are so used to the fact that boss can't hear us. (That's what we all call him) Bad thing is I find that i am still shouting at everyone all day long. there are times I think that I have forgotten how to use my indoor voice. Sometimes, and I know this is just awful, I will notice that i am also hollering at people over the phone. Being that many of the residents are elderly they can't hear a word you say at a normal volume anyway.

4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have also noticed that some shows have the actors talking too low. I find that people that look the other way when talking to your are so irrating and they expect you to hear them. I have had to say several times look at me when you are talking to me so that I can hear you. There is nothing wrong with my hearing, the wind is taking your words away or the music is too loud.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Huh, I thought you saw a gray hair so you feel old, hahahaaa. When my black hair turned to another color, I started dyeing. It's not for vanity but I seem to lose my confidence in seeing the old woman in the mirror.

Anyway, back to the topic. Last night we watched that movie Max, about a k-9 dog that had a stint in Afghanistan. The drama was hinged on the dialogue. Oh, oh, I had difficulty understanding especially the part when the father asked his son on what happened that day. The son said something that my husband and I didn't catch. The father got his gun and hastily left, leaving the son staring at nowhere. It was a pivotal word that the son said... that we didn't catch.