Another Mini Ice-age Coming Up Next?

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

All we seem to hear about right now is the drought and forest fires all over the world; but some scientists are saying that our sun is going to go into sleep mode in about 15 more years.
    Apparently, the sun does this about eery 400 years, and the last time was in the 1600's. The youtube video that explains how it works , also has statistics for what happened the last time around. Millions and millions of people either starved or froze to death all over the world when it happened.
    Now, to be honest, we have advanced a long ways since then, and we can pretty much grow year around somewhere, and ship food as needed. However, we also have a lot larger world population than we had 400 years ago, so a lot more people to have to be fed, and most of them already living in countries that are too poor to buy food, and already stricken with famine.

Regardless of our industrial development andtechnology; I think that this will be a hard time for the whole world when it happens.

Terry Page likes this.
  2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I was talking about this with my sister a few weeks ago. She is wondering if we could be on the verge of antoher ice age. Why because of the strange climate changes. She had a good point, none of us were around when the first ice age happened. So, we don't know exactly what the world was like right before it happened. Could there have been strange climate changes beforehand and then the ice age occured. So, it does seem to to be something to ponder.

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

The weather has changed but I am hoping that we are no way near a ice age in the new future.

4. Yvonne Smith

This is part of a 400 year cycle; so it has happened many times before over the centuries. This is not like a major ice age, where the whole world would be motly frozen over, and even then, there were parts that were still inhabitable, from what I have read.
    However, this will mean that we are going into a time where everything will be colder, more places with snow, lasts longer into the spring, and a shorter growing season.
    Since it is a 400 year cycle, there will be about 200 years going into it,and another 200 coming back out. Nothing is going to change right away, and even as we go into the colder weather; it will just be gradually colder and colder each winter.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

If cutting down on our consumption of power was what was needed to prevent global warming, it would stand to reason that we might fight against the coming ice age by buying gas guzzlers, by leaving our lights on all day and night, and leaving our SUVs idling while we're asleep.

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

When it comes to controlling world climate, we are like ants, controlling a picnic.;)

Terry Page and Martin Alonzo like this.
  7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know what to say about this thread but my husband and I sometimes talk about climate change. My husband believes that a season depends on a bigger season - for a number of centuries, summer starts in March (here in the Philippines) and rainy season starts in July. But there is a bigger season that summer may start in August and the rainy season in December. It's just a theory but his reason is the Bible. That when Jesus Christ was born (whether October or December) it looks like summer so that means the bigger season has moved to a new era in our lifetime.

8. Yvonne Smith

I found another article about this subject , and it was on National Geographic. While they also agree that the sun will go into a sleep phase, they say that it should not affect the earth like the last cycle did.
    Pretty much they said the same think that Ken said; just in defferent words. Since we have created so muc more pollution and the greenhouses gasses are a lot stronger this time around, plus they think the whole sleep cycle will be weaker; they are saying that the affects will either be mild, or we may not even notice it altogether.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ernation-solar-cycle-sunspots-space-science/#

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  9. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

This is one of those situations where, unless I can really make a difference instead of just going through the motions, I feel its best to prepare for the worst but not stress over it... yet.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  10. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

al_gore_climate_change.jpg It is funny they have changed the wording it was global warming and now it is climate change. Either one they are trying to blame us and want us to pay. The ice caps on Mars and Jupiter have been decreasing I guess they are driving too many cars up there.
    The world temperature has little no nothing to do with what we are doing unless we use a lot of nuclear weapons.
    The world has been going through weather cycles forever.

Sheldon Scott and Ike Willis like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." -- George Orwell, 1984

12. Jennifer Graves

Registered

The mini ice age isn't because of climate change or global warming. It's going to happen regardless of what we have/haven't done. I do believe, however, that we are seeing the various consequences of our arrogance and immaturity. Children are the only ones who can have the naive attitude of "what's it gonna hurt?" Once you become an adult, its irresponsible to believe that our actions, which are destructive and selfish, won't come back to bite us in the ass.

13. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

I also had heard that it was extremely cold in the 1600s due to the sun's cycles. I guess if people made it through back then, we should be able to do the same thing, albeit with MUCH higher heating costs! I will say the past two winters have been the coldest that I've ever seen and I live in a northern state. I still remember the big blizzards of 1977 and 1978, but those times only lasted for one week and the big issue was more about the enormous amount of snow rather than the cold.

I had never been in windchills at -30 until these past two winters. I'm just not seeing this global warming business at all.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Jennifer Graves

Registered

hunting and gathering food is going to be the issue, I believe. Its a lot of people to feed with no good crops