Another Mail Dump In The News

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

This seems to happen every year or so. Some mail carrier in a random part of the country is seen dumping mail, or a backyard full of mail is discovered. Does anyone have insight into why this happens? It seems as if some working at the USPS resent their duties, although from what I've heard, they tend to be well paid and have good benefits, especially compared to many other jobs/companies these days. I have only personally known a few people who've worked at the USPS, and one was normal, while the other ended up being diagnosed (military vet with previous head injury) with Paranoid Schizophrenia. I've had a few packages go missing over the years, and I have to say, it irritates me when I see stories like this one. This particular story took place in Georgia.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It's happened here, can't remember if it involved my area post office or another one in Fresno but I did read about it a few years ago.

It could be laziness or theft or both and I'll have to see if I can find the story from Fresno. My post office is a nightmare. I'm in a nice area, the post office is a nice bldg, etc but while there are 4 windows or lines, only one is ever open and if you need to mail a pkg the line is out the door on a regular day. I never go there. I can't complain about our mail carrier so far I think Ive gotten everything I'm supposed to.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a good carrier here, too. The local office is smaller, but not too bad. At least when there's a line, people are in pretty good moods and chat a little. If I put something in the box to be picked up, I will sometimes attach a note asking her to scan it, and I'll attach a thank you mint if I have one. I'm running out of those and need to get more. I started doing that after a package I shipped was picked up from my mailbox and never scanned. I ended up having to reimburse the person for their purchase, and lost out on the postage and cost of the item as well, since I couldn't prove they'd ever picked it up. I don't sell much, but when I do, I need that money, so I wasn't happy about the situation.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Pardon me if this is not accurate anymore. We have a friend who worked in the post office as a mail carrier. He was so proud to tell us about it because the salary is high. My father in law applied as a mail sorter because of the same reason. .. High salary. So I am wondering why those mail carriers would dump mails as if they are not being paid well.

5. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw this story on the news and just shook my head. There's a Seinfeld episode about Newman hiding people's mail.

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know what they are paid here, it doesn't seem like a hard job....you drive around most of the day but I really don't know. There have been cut backs otherwise why aren't there enough workers in my post office....I even took a picture once of how long the line was.

Postal workers also have a reputation here of going crazy...that's were the saying "going postal" comes from.

Corie Henson likes this.