Anniversary Of 9/11 Terror Attacks

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

This is always a tough day. I don't know anyone who was killed, although I do have a Facebook friend who had a firefighter brother who was killed in the attacks or the aftermath. I think he may have been in the fire station right by the twin towers that was destroyed. A friend was working at the Pentagon at the time, and we weren't sure if he was there or out of the office. He was out of the office that day, thankfully. Two of the planes originated in Boston, which is where my family and many friends live, so I wasn't sure if attacks would take place there as well.

I was sick all day, unable to get through to any of these people on the phones, due to the circuits being busy. I had had a late class the night before, and was sleeping, because I didn't have to be to work until later that day. I worked at NASA at the time, and was woken up by a coworker telling me the whole United States was under terrorist attack, and not to come to work because the facility was shutting down. I turned on the television, and was still half asleep as I watched the planes hitting the building and the rest of the coverage. I'm still not sure if I actually saw the 2nd plane hit live, or if it was after the fact. It doesn't really matter. I still remember it vividly, as well as the aftermath, added precautions at work, the feeling of walking around in a daze, the disbelief that someone had the audacity to do this again. I can't imagine how those on the scenes or nearby, let alone on the planes and in the buildings, felt.

What are your memories of the 9/11 attacks?

2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

It's so hard to believe that it's been fourteen years since that fateful day. I can still remember that day like it was yesterday. At the time I was working as a care attendant for my mother and I had to tend to her needs, but I was still glued to my TV. I also remember having this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach and I am sure I wasn't alone in that feeling. So much has happened since that day, including the fact that my mother is now deceased, yet I still find it hard to believe that so much time has gone by.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, it really seems like yesterday, but it's been quite a while, and my life has changed a lot since then, as well. I often will watch the programming about it, but chose not to this year. I'm still drained emotionally from watching Hurricane Katrina shows. I do have a show on the DVR about the investigation into the USS Cole bombing, and I'll probably watch that this weekend. Next year will probably have some specials, since it will be the 15th year anniversary. I thought the rainbow over the tower, and the mosque incident were interesting occurrences.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

What was that on tv? I heard my husband say. Lo and behold, a plane hits a building. It was a replay of the footage taken an hour ago on what used to be the World Trade Center. I didn't know how to react because I was confused. What was happening (on tv) was not clear to my mind yet. And then the words of my husband slowly sank... that a terrorist had hijacked a plane to crash directly at the building thereby killing all the passengers. Gee, I was speechless.

What was clear to me was the aftermath. The ongoing rescue being shown on tv was heartwarming with the volunteer rescuers doing what they could. It was really a sad day not only for America but also for peoples around the world.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

Wow, this is so powerful and moving. This makes me proud to know that everyday Americans jumped into action and dropped what they were doing, with no regard for their own safety, and helped evacuate these people from Manhattan on 9/11/01. It's a longer video, actually a short film, narrated by Tom Hanks.

In my opinion, it doesn't show anything disturbing, definitely nothing we haven't seen before, and is more about the aftermath, than the actual terrorist acts.

I'd love to see this make into a full length film, and would definitely watch/buy it.