Anger

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Richard Paradon, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Anger is one of our emotions that is rarely good to have. When we have to have to fight or escape from a possible bad situation it gives us the needed adrenalin to take care of business, but than that, it can do us physical as well as mental harm. Excess adrenalin can cause fatty tissue to disolved the fat into the blood, high blood pressure and a number of other problems.

While I can usually avoid anger, when it does occur I just sit back and ask myself if I will still be angry in five or ten minutes or even a month. The answer, of course, is no, so I will just read or watch something that makes me laugh and soon, the anger is long gone.

How do you deal with occasional anger?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I find screaming and yelling to be therapeutic, but my wife disagrees.

Von Jones and Richard Paradon like this.
  3. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

Apart from the affect on health, an outbreak of anger never does any good and can often makes a situation worse. It doesn't happen often, but if I do lose my temper it's over with very quickly and then I feel bad about it.

Anger at what someone has done, whether its personal or something in the news, takes longer to go away and can go on making me feel bad.

I agree that something which makes you laugh or takes your mind in another direction is probably the best solution.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  4. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree that anger is a destructive emotion. It rarely helps any situation and feeling it for long periods of time can just destroy you. Unfortunately, I know this from personal experience. I've been going through a really rough patch the last couple of years, and I just can't get past the anger phase. Anger that these things have happened to me. I'm angry that there's nothing I can do about it. It's gotten really bad, and I don't know how to get out of it. I usually have a great sense of humor, and I always try to see the "good" in every situation - and I've always been able to laugh or joke about things, even when everything is falling down around me. But I just can't anymore.

Sorry to rant!! I'll be better in a little while - :confused:

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Anger...Hmmm. My husband doesn't like me to get angry but I told asked him 'Well, what else am I supposed to do... soooo... I'd break something :oops:. Of course that was when we were first married and I stopped that after I saw it didn't work. :)

Most people would say I never get angry but I do it's just hard to tell. If it's something that's out of my control I say, Oh well, like today I've been waiting for 3 weeks now for a direct deposit also I found out that my vision care coverage will not be effective until next week, maybe. The money I need that's enough to make one go postal. New glasses can wait a week. All the answers just weren't what I wanted to hear....am I angry yes, but ...Oh well.

I have this knack of being able to process negativity like lightening fast that's my best way to handle anger.

6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Wjen I get angry I talk a long walk or dance even clean the house some times. When all else fails I start to I raise my voice alot.

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Anger is a natural emotion, that is like walking a dog. Give it a short leash, let it do it's business, but keep it under control. It's healthier to let it out in short bursts than to keep it bottled up.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sometimes, anger can actually be a constructive emotion.
    When my ex-husband left me, he called me 3 days later from the other end of Washington State to tell me that he had a girlfriend, and was never coming back home.
    I was completely devastated. I simply stopped living, and prayed every night that i would not wake up the next day. I am not even sure you could call it existing. Twenty-five years of marriage does not just stop being a part of your life, even when it is over.
    For three long months, I did what absolutely had to be done, and the rest of the time, I sat in the middle of the bed and cried and cried.
    My daughter probably saved my life, and she certainly saved my sanity.
    Every weekend when she was off work, she would come and get me , drag me (still crying) out of the house, and take me to Ocean Shores for the weekend. I don't know how she put up with all the crying; but she did.
    Finally, one night, I started to get mad about the whole thing.
    I got furious !
    I stopped sitting in the bed and crying, and started to scream and holler. (Thankfully, I lived in the country)
    Then , I went outside, took the splitting maul, and split firewood , still yelling at the top of my lungs, until I was too exhausted to either yell or split wood anymore.
    That night, I slept like a log, and the next day, I was different inside, and started to live my life again.

9. Richard Paradon

Registered

Nothing wrong with an occasional rant, Mal. At times it does us good to let go with our feelings! I am not going to send you a bunch of Buddhist meditations, don't worry, just try to relax and let things fall away!

10. Richard Paradon

Registered

That was definitely an example of constructive anger. Too bad that it took you a long time to get there, but other emotions often get in the way!

11. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

For me, because i am hypertensive, it takes a serious reason before you can arouse me to become angry.I am aware thoughts and emotions are powerful so I avoid the negative and choose to stuff my thinking with calming thoughts.

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Sure, and there's nothing like spending a day at the maul, to get your mind of'a yer troubles! ;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I learn meditation and also was schooled in NLP so I have found out how to use different emotions for different things. I now find myself in control all of the time. There was one saying that we used in NLP that was who is driving your bus. Explained are you in control or is someone or some thing in control. If you let some one else drive you bus [brain] you are in for a bad ride.

Richard Paradon and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Richard Paradon

Registered

Hi Martin! Happy to see you here. I have no idea what NLP is so if you care to explain, it will be appreciated!

15. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

NLP [Neuro-Linguistic Programming] it is a of understanding the way that the brain proses and stores information.
    If you know how a person thinks than you can explain to them in language that they will understand. If it sounds complicated just look up people like Anthony Robins, Derren Brown. Most of the people who want to control the way you think are using it like CIA, police and many more. It is very powerful and can be miss used best to know for your protection.