... And I Thought We Couldn't Do Without Them

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Richard Lee, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of my favorite clocks was a little square one that had a music box inside of it. It was a wind-up alarm clock, but it woke me up to the tinkling sounds of a music box instead of the harsh squalling of a regular alarm clock, which I seriously hate ! !
    I really love the old fashioned music boxes, and I used to have just a small collection of those; but since we got married, Bobby and I have had to move a lot, and most of the collection had to be left behind.
    I do still have a Borghase musical makeup box from years back that plays Arrivederci, Roma.

When my daughter was little, she had a pet hamster named Noel, and we got her one of those little hamster cages that looked like an old steam engine locomotive.
    The hamster wheel was attached to a bell on the train. Since hamsters are nocturnal, every night we went to sleep to that train bell going "ding, ding, ding" most of the night.
    Sometimes, I would sneak into Robin's room after she was asleep and disconnect the bell.
    She still talks about how much she enjoyed falling asleep to the sound of Noel ringing the train bell every night.

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

The horse and carriage is beautiful. I like to see items like these when I am treasure hunting for items to sell on ebay.

3. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Its funny when I stop to think about all the advancements that have happened just in my lifetime. When I was younger we had a black and white TV and thought it was so great when we finally got a color set. To listen to music we had radios and turntables where we played records remember those? Then there was the eight track tape, talk about something that is obsolete along with the typewriter. When I learned to type it was on a typewriter, when I got my first jobs I used typewriters. These days kids learn to type on PC's and you aren't going to find an office that has a typewriter any longer. Now it would seem that even the cassette tape and CD could be becoming obsolete as well. The thing that I find really funny is that if I mentioned something like the typewriter or the turntable to the kids of today's generation they probably wouldn't know what I was talking about. Heck some would probably find it hard to believe that at one time TVs were only airing black and white pictures and no color or high definition.

4. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Haha, well, this is a totally unexpected response! Good for you for getting over him. :)

As for a response for the thread, I really thought that on-board radios in cars would be something indispensable. I mean, when they came out, they were considered a luxury because they costed a lot. Nowadays, people can easily hook up their iPod to their car and listen to their own songs, and some cars even come with a touchscreen display! Truly makes me wonder where the world will be in 20 years, because things change really fast nowadays; especially when it comes to technology.

5. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

This Banjo clock was bought new for my grandmother. It later went to my mother and now I have it. It still works but the mechanism needs some work. image.jpg

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered