An Ale Tale

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ike Willis, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

To say that my gramp's liked his beer would be putting it mildly. Many a weekend my two cousins and I would show up at our grandparents house on a Friday night and stay until Sunday afternoon. Not so much during the war years, but when our dad's came home, well, they had things to catch up on that didn't involve us.
    My gramp's must have been one of the only people in town who got beer delivered to his house by the distributor's truck. On a certain day each week, the old blue Diamond T truck from the St. Claire bottling works would stop in the alley behind gramp's house. A man would come up onto the back porch with a two wheeled cart and load 3-4 cases of empty bottles on it, wheel them back to the truck. Under one of the cases would be an envelop with enough money for another 3-4 cases of Blackhawk beer.
    I still remember my first taste of the stuff. My dad was home from the war and we were all gathered at the grandparent's house. I ask for a taste of beer and was told only if my dad said so. Dad said so, and a little was poured into a small glass. It was cold, bubbly and a bit bitter, but I took to it like a duck to water. I was hooked.
    One weekend, my cousin and I were staying at the grandfolk's house. Our granny noticed our absence and went about the house looking for us. Not finding us in the main rooms, she ran out into the yard, looking in the sheds and up and down the street. Panic set in and she made gramp's go into the neighborhood looking for us.
    Our giggling must have given us away. Gramp's flung open the cellar door and there my cousin and I were, sitting on the landing where gramps stored his full cases of beer. We each had a bottle and were having a great old time.
    So, a lock was put on the cellar door, and we had to go back to soda pop when we were lucky enough to have it.
    250px-Zoeller_Bros_-Independent_Malting.jpg Zoeller Bros brewery where Blackhawk beer was made. Davenport, Iowa.
    250px-Zoeller_Bros_-Independent_Malting.jpg s-l300.jpg

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered