American Indian Heritage

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lara Moss, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been avoiding this thread, because I can't dwell too much on my Cherokee Heritage. When I do, it reminds me of my Grandmother, and although I think of her every day, I never spend much time facing the pain she must have felt, no bitterness, but I know there was pain. Sure enough, when I read the "Dream Weaver" quote that Ina posted, I kind of lost it a little. :( My Grandma was Tall, Strong, Gentle and Warm. A true Cherokee! :)

Joe Riley, Lara Moss and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Aww, Brittany, that is hard.

Peace Pipes...
    Notice the Dominoes painted on the teepee with Egyptian looking birds? I looked it up and the first known dominoes game was in Egypt from Tutankamen.

5a135dd842b93723841588bc900db6ec.jpg 37ac7244aad1fcbdc56b39b11f4723f7.jpg peace_pipe_5692.jpg Blackfoot-Blackfeet-Indians-tipi-dress-pipe.jpg

3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

One little, two little, three little Indian maidens...
    Indian Maiden.jpg indian_maidens_1920s_calendar_girls_postcard-re500d4fa4cdd45ba9dfe446dfec3737b_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg
    homer nelson.jpg

Joe Riley and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Brittany Houser, I do know your pain. My grandparents and my mother grew up in times when the Indians were ridiculed. My mother cut her hair short, and would tell other people that she was a Gypsy. That's why she never taught me much of my heritage, but my grandmother was a very brave woman, and she gave me my sense of pride in being 1/2 Indian. I will always remember that she taught me that my Creator loves all living beings equally, but to be careful of humans, because many thought they were the Creator's first choice.

Please remember the beauty of your grandmother's love for you. It took me a long time to admit to my heritage as my father hated my Indian side, and he would call me a 'square headed blanket assed Indian'. The square headed came from the fact that he was German.

Today, I think Zella Beulah, (my grandmother), would be proud of me, and how far all the Indian have come.

image.jpg image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    Joe Riley and Lara Moss like this.
  6. My parents/aunts/uncles/grandparents are all deceased. But a few years ago I started gathering info together, hoping to either write it out or print it out and put it in a booklet. I want my kids and grandchild to have it.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow has long been my favorite piece of poetry, and maybe one of the first ones that I ever heard as a child.
    Back then, I only heard a small portion of the poem, and had no idea that it was actually an epic saga, pages and pages long.
    It describes Indian life, and uses many native words, and I just love how the cadence of the lines goes on.
    Although I am not really interested in most poetry, this was such an interesting story, and I think that was a lot of the reason that I like it so well.
    Here is the link to the introduction and "first verses". On the far right are the links to all of the succeeding pages.
    This is an amazing work of poetry simply for its length and its information, if for no other reason !

http://www.hwlongfellow.org/poems_poem.php?pid=62

Joe Riley and Lara Moss like this.
  8. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Plains Cree Mocassins
    DSC08588.JPG 52ffaa79004b945844c46cf50cf46726.jpg Plains-Cree-Moccasins.jpg b776e072a2137a16119e8394a8967670.jpg images-1 copy 2.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I really think this 15 minute video has a lot say to every one on this earth. If we would just see the world as a nest instead of as just product to be used. I hope you enjoy the message.

Terry Page and Lara Moss like this.
  10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Some awesome stuff.:)

Lara Moss likes this.
  11. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

That was a deeply touching message, Ina…and thank you Ike for your comment.

I encourage everyone, no matter what your religious persuasion is, no matter that it will take 15 minutes of your day. Watch and listen to the message with an open heart and an open mind, and do what you can to help restore our planet Earth.

I have no Indian blood and I'm not of the same spiritual connection, although I certainly appreciate theirs, but that didn't stop me from receiving the blessing that is to be had here and the motivation to pray in my own way for forgiveness for all things past and direction for the future from our Creator. I will do my part to not use any more of our earth's resources than I need, live in harmony with all creatures, plant seeds, kill no living creatures, walk easy on the earth and listen to what it's telling me.

Thinking of the future of our children…

137646107589361.jpg 17fcb29624f5dfd87e8eb6f3e1dcefd9.jpg

Terry Page and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  12. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There were several possible choices of where to put this post; but I think that it will fit well here.
    There is an amazing story about chief Tecumseh and his prediction of the great New Madrid earthquake in the early 1800's.
    He actually prophesied about the coming quake well before it happened, and the prophecy was part of his proclamation to the different tribes to get them to unite against the advancement of the white man into the lands that then belonged to the Indian tribes.
    If you have not read about Tecumseh and his prediction before, I think that you will find this a fascinating true piece of Native American history.

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/Tecumseh.html

Lara Moss, Joe Riley and Ken Anderson like this.
  14. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I think most Indians have heard the name Tecumseh, but that is the first time I've read the above account. It reminds me of the stories of Moses told to us as children in Sunday school. I guess all cultures have their prophets, but where are they now, I wonder.

Lara Moss and Yvonne Smith like this.