American Indian Heritage

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lara Moss, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Lara, the best guess is:
    CABOT'S HOPI INSPIRED PUEBLO MUSEUM, A TOP ATTRACTION IN THE PALM SPRINGS AREA.
    Nestled in the scenic hills of Desert Hot Springs, a Hopi-inspired pueblo sits against a hillside. Not just any pueblo, but one built with re-purposed materials he collected throughout the desert. Cabot’s pueblo spreads an impressive 5,000 square feet, divided into 35 rooms and adorned with 150 windows and 65 doors. What a sight it is to see!

Through the tour, you will have the chance to get to know the man behind the pueblo: a bright and ambitious man, who followed his heart, traveled the world and accomplished countless things.

In a modern world where everything we need is at our fingertips with a touch of a button, a flick of a switch or the sound of a voice, it’s hard to imagine having to walk 14 miles for water. Let us take you on a journey back to simpler times and introduce you to an exceptionally fascinating man, Cabot Yerxa.

2. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Joe! You are good at sleuthing and I believe you're right. The video was fascinating and inspirational.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I am unaware of how, or if, any of my past family has helped the Indians but if we fast forward to the present day, I can share a little about how my son (age 29) has helped the Indians prepare for winter up in Montana. He volunteered to work in a community of what I think they call "Cluster Homes" in the Flathead Reservation. My son installed insulation in the summertime before the onset of winter so they would be warm and also did some landscape work in their community.

4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Today is Thanksgiving. My heart was touched when I read something just now in another thread. Brittany Houser wrote….

"Thank God for my grandmother and her long-reaching influence over our huge family! She was a full-blooded Cherokee who was somehow grateful for her life in America. She held no bitterness for what happened to her people. She insisted that her 9 children and all their children gather at her house every year for Thanksgiving dinner. For us, it was, and is a special holiday. Grandma's family has always followed suit, despite her death in 1983. We have a big feast every year, and we celebrate the abundance that our Creator has always provided for us (mostly immaterial things like love and peace), and the special people He has brought into our lives, like my Grandmother." ~ @Brittany Houser

Yes, there is always something we can each be thankful for. Some must look a little deeper for it than others, but it's there.

Corbis-42-27365324.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you for that treat above, Terry. "Rhythm of the Heart" is the most
    beautiful compilation of music, photos, artwork, and video clips I've ever seen in one video.
    proof-sky-dogs-larsen-05.jpg

8. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Terry Page, As Lara said, such beautiful music. I wrote a song, ( the thread is, "Is It A Song?), and that was the type of music I imagined.

@Lara Moss, can you imagine the time it took to make those beaded adornments for both the girl and horse? That type of artwork is almost gone in this country.

Fifty years ago, my Indian grandmother thought the day of the Indians was over. I wish she could have seen the exceptance that has been gained since her time. But the traditional and present Indian way of life is so harsh that their youth are leaving the old ways behind for the modern future.

Some day we will all be of one people, and who is to say that is wrong?

9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Ina, your comment led me to take a second look at the beadwork and design. It truly is some beautiful artwork. Somehow, I think your grandmother has been able to see, from her heavenly perch, the acceptance that has been gained by the American Indians over time and vice versa.

And, no doubt she is proud of the contributions you have made in this thread and for the American Indian Heritage Month…and proud that you contacted your Indian relatives on the west coast and have stayed connected in your heart to your heritage, and proud that you've learned to make your own moccasins, and proud of your beautiful artwork, and proud of your gentle quiet spirit, and proud of so much more that I don't know about you yet.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Joe. That's beautiful.
    I asked Terry for permission to post a video here that he posted over in his thread "A Place for Peace". It's also beautiful.

images-4.jpeg images-1.jpeg images-3.jpeg images.jpeg

12. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

13. I didn't know this was American Indian Heritage Day- thanks for posting this thread!
    My father's great-grandmother was full-blood Cherokee, and there was another Cherokee who married into the family line generations earlier.
    I don't know much about the culture, though, and I don't think he did either.

14. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi @Janice Martin I'm so glad you stopped by and shared your family heritage. Ina will be thrilled when she reads it too because that's the very thing wshe was hoping for the most in this thread….for SO members to share their American Indian family history. You will find many posts in this thread that speak of the Cherokee.

They were one of the largest of the 5 tribes to settle in the southeast after migrating from the Great Lakes area. They settled in Georgia, NCarolina, SCarolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky. Now most of the Cherokee live in North Carolina and Oklahoma. Sitting Bull was a famous Cherokee…
    3690ceeb3be0c4263f141a676b676897.jpg

15. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Janice Martin, I hope you still have relatives that might remember the stories of your Indian connections. Those would be stories that the younger members of your family could pass on down their families.

It only takes a little researh, and maybe your family would enjoy knowing how your Indian relatives influenced your family.