American Indian Heritage

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lara Moss, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

More Native American Contributions
    http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/nrcs141p2_024206.pdf

The contributions cover a wide spectrum of American culture. It is most important that children be made aware of such information not only to erase generalizations, but also to make them aware of the importance of the Native American in the historical and contemporary settling of American.

60% of the present world’s food supply comes from the American Indians’ agriculture, primarily consisting of corn and the so-called “Irish” potatoes. Poducts like Cotton and Rubber are invaluable.

Thousands of American Indian names dot our maps in states, cities, counties, lakes, mountains and rivers, and hundreds of Indian names are used as trade names for modern manufactured products, etc.

FOODS
    Corn
    Popcorn
    Wild rice
    Bean (14 varieties) Squash
    Pumpkins
    Cranberries
    Maple sugar and syrup Potatoes (white and sweet) Turkeys
    Clam bakes
    Pemmican
    Jerky
    Tomatoes
    Pineapples
    Avocado
    Tapioca (Manioc) Chocolate (Cacao) Peanuts
    Chewing gum
    Vanilla
    Wild rice

PRODUCTS
    Canoe Tobaggan Snow shoes Moccasins Tipi
    Kayak
    Fringed buckskin jacket Coonskin caps
    Mukluks
    Lacrosse
    Cradle boards (baby carriers) Tomahawk
    Tobacco
    Cigars
    Pipe smoking
    Cotton
    Rubber
    Quinine

Terry Page likes this.
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

image.jpeg image.jpeg Here is a recipe for fried bread. My family use to eat this when I was a child, but then came along the food police. Now I eat tortillas instead when and if I eat any kind of bread.

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Lara Moss, those info you are posting are truly interesting. I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't heard of Indian Pudding until you posted it. And that photo of grilling fish is amusing because our natives in the mountains cook like that and that style of cooking is still practiced in some parts of our country.

With regards to food, what I want to know is the buffalo (or do you call it bison?). In one movie that I saw when I was a girl, there were the cowboys on their horses who were chased by some Indians with the help of a herd of buffalo. My impression of the buffalo is that they are vicious like those used in bullfights. But my father said that the buffalo has an edible meat like the beef that we have here.

Lara Moss likes this.
  4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, Buffalo, also known as Bison is considered to be a very good beef in restaurants. I tasted a Bison Burger once and I thought it was too dry. It's very lean so that's why. It also costs more than other beef. The Indians also ate Venison (deer meat) and Moose. I noticed in my search today that they would make jellied moose which sounds disgusting to me.

The First Thanksgiving the Indians had with the Pilgrims used Venison (no turkey according to History Channel link below). They didn't have Pumpkin Pie either. Potatoes hadn't been introduced yet. They had corn, fowl, beans, nuts, barley, maybe stuffed Portabello mushrooms, cranberries (without added sugar…maybe used maple syrup), wild rice, squash, Jerky, Tapioca, Tomatoes, etc

Bet You Didn't Know this about the "First Thanksgiving":
    History Channel... http://www.history.com/topics/thanksgiving/first-thanksgiving-meal

8ab95b9e3b3fa8351b74fa89e6c10485.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    Terry Page likes this.
  5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

This is a picture of the American Indians making Cornmeal and flour:

0410000263-l.jpg

Ina I. Wonder and Terry Page like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Buffalo are not vicious; however, they are a wild animal, and a very large one, and can be extremely dangerous.
    Some places now raise buffalo, and there aren't really any more that are just wild and roaming the plains, like they did in the olden days.
    In Montana, near Flathead Lake, is the National Bison Range, and it is a huge section of land where great herds of buffalo live basically like they would in the wild.
    Every year they have a weekend trail ride in the Buffalo Range, or at least they used to, and I was able to go on the ride many years ago.
    We would camp out overnight near Rivalli, Montana, and the cowboys would come with their guitars and we all sat around the campfire and sang cowboy songs.
    A cafe nearby served bufflao burgers and buffalo steaks.
    As @Lara Moss mentioned, the meat is rather dry, because of the lack of fat on a buffalo, and the meat is also pretty expensive. We tried a buger, since that was about the most affordable way to see what it was like.

The next morning, we all set out on our horses and rode into the mountains , and as we rode along, we could see the herds of buffalo far below us in the valley. When they ran, they looked like a herd of mice running, they were so far below us.
    One part that everyone enjoyed was when we passed a tiny fawn laying quietly in the grass alongside of the trail, thinking that it was hiding. I am sure that the mother was nearby, and was just waiting for all of the riders to get past so that she could get back to her baby.

It was many years ago that I went on the trail ride, but it was one of those awesome experiences that you will remember for the rest of your life.

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Montana-Info/bison-range-photographs.php

7. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I love bison, and yes it can be dry, but it is so lean and I think it is much healthier than beef. I like the taste of it better as well. I'm not sure where, but they have been raising bison here in Texas, and I buy it for around the same cost as beef is here,

A friend has been teaching and helping with me with my new computer, so I fixed him and his wife a bison steak dinner with trimings. They were so surprised with the tenderness of the steaks. The trick is to sear them at a high temperatute on a grill or under avery hot broiler.

Lara Moss and Terry Page like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

There is no Native American heritage in my family, since my parents and grandparents came here from Sweden, but I do have a site that includes information about Native Americans in North Dakota.

9. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember my Grandma making this, Ina. It tastes so good. She also made a fried cornbread that tasted wonderful with pinto beans, potatoes, and garden fresh vegetables. Boy those were the days!

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Here's a guy, on a buffalo!

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Hope this is not too far off topic, but I just love this video!

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

AMAZING GRACE IN CHEROKEE

13. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I watched all the videos above.
    I first laughed till my sides ached at the guy on the Buffalo, then teared up listening to
    the cowboys singing Annie Laurie and the Amazing Grace in Cherokee….so touching

images-1 copy 2.jpeg 12122888_1183656168317744_6915761943113208129_n.jpg 0283cc16f2672c93c9a495e4aeff473b.jpg

14. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Joe Riley, I see you liked the Cherokee song of Amazing Grace, I have albums of Indian music. My favorite album titled "Walela", is sung by the trio of Rita Coolidge, Laura Satterfield, and Priscilla Coolidge. I wish I knew how to post music as you are always doing. I think more people would enjoy Indian music if they could hear it, instead of the parodies we generally hear.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

There is an easy way to post music, @Ina I. Wonder . If you look on Youtube, and search for the person or song that you are trying to find, then you can see all of the versions that have been posted to youtube, and pick out the one that you like best.
    Some will be live presentations from concerts, and others have beautiful pictures to describe the songs being played.
    Once you choose the one that you want to post here, look in the upper right hand corner, and there is a curved arrow , along with some other icons. choose the arrow, and it will give you a choice of options. At the bottom will be the copy option, choose that.
    As you click the link, the bottom of the screen will pop up a quick little notice that says "copy successful" or words to that effect.
    Then you can write your post, and just copy the link to the post. I use the "cmd"+"v" to do it.