American Indian Heritage

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lara Moss, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Join Ina and Myself as we Celebrate and Pay Tribute to
    American Indian Heritage Month!
    November 28 is American Indian Heritage Day

This thread is for anyone no matter how much American Indian is in you or none.
    Post anything having to do with American Indian Heritage (read on for ideas)
    Do YOU have any American Indian ancestors? What part of America did they come from? Do you know the Tribe name? Have your ancestors passed down any photos or stories? How did they merge with the white population? Tell us about your heritage, your American Indian background .

Ina has a lot of American Indian roots she will share. I have none;)...but I can share all things Native American that I appreciate and admire which I've found on the net. I have a lot of appreciation for their historical contributions to America, achievements, language, symbols, farming methods, their keen sense of taking care of our planet earth and not using any more resources than they needed, and their value system set up long long ago.

This hopes to be a beautiful and intriguing thread sharing personal family histories of American Indian relatives, traditions, culture, Indian wisdom, their historical arts and crafts, artifacts, beaded clothing , turquoise jewelry, basket weaving, pottery, woodcarvings, sculptures, etc. Join with us as we learn and enjoy through what everyone has to share.

AmericanIndianHeritage.jpg 100_5124.jpg
    Erika_2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I spent most of my life growing up and working until retirement on the border of Indian territory (Oklahoma). Many of my friends and co-workers were Indian or at least part Indian. In this area they are mostly Cherokee and Choctaw. One of my early girlfriends from about fifty four years ago had much Indian blood. We still keep in touch on facebook.

It will be interesting to hear your stories.

3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

That's interesting, Sheldon. Would she mind if you posted a pic of her?
    Here are some tribes in my state of N. Carolina but, like you, there are more:
    • Bear River Indians. A body of Indians mentioned by Lawson and associated with Algonquian tribes. ...
    • Cape Fear Indians.
    • Catawba Indians. This tribe occupied parts of southwestern North Carolina near Catawba River. ...
    • Cheraw Indians.
    • Cherokee Indians. ...
    • Chowanoc Indians.
    • Coree Indians, or Coranine Indians.
    • Eno Indians.

Terry Page likes this.
  4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Here is a relic from Oklahoma, Sheldon…a turtle shell rattle believed to have come from the Southern Oklahoma Chickasaw Tribe:

CIMG0069.JPG

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Guitarist, singer and songwriter Jimi Hendrix is most known as one of the greatest electric guitarists in the history of rock 'n' roll. What he's not as well known for is his Native American heritage. The musician's grandmother was Cherokee, a heritage Hendrix's family has continued to celebrate.

And now, during the 45th anniversary of Hendrix's death, it's a heritage visitors to the National Museum of the American Indian can celebrate too, thanks to Hendrix's family, who sent a number of the star's belongings to the museum on a long-term loan.

Among the items that arrived, delivered by Hendrix's sister Janie, are a multicolored, patchwork full-length leather coat, worn and creased at the elbows and a leather necklace and pouch.
    [​IMG]

6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We stopped here a couple of times to get gifts as we traveled west. I was really disappointed as most of the "Indian" items in the store were marked "made in China".

https://www.cherokeegifts.com/

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I am 100% Hungarian so this will be a very interesting and learning experience. Looking forward to hearing Ina's story and any others who have Native American backgrounds.

Like you, Lara I will be googling for information.

Great thread for November!

Update....not really 100% Hungarian, have a very small amt of Czechoslovakian.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  8. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Good morning to all of you wonderfully interesting people. Here are some maps with Native American Indian tribal names, instead of today's state names. Some of you might only know what area of this country your long ago great-great grandparents were located, whether they were Indain or not. Most of us grew up with old family stories, so can you remember any of your elders long ago stories? Maybe you even have stories of your own.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

One thing Ive learned so far is that I didnt realize there were so many different tribes....of course I knew all the ones always mentioned but in reading California's tribes ....most names Ive never heard of.

11. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I was not raised in the Oregon/Washington area, but that is where my Indian grandmother and mother were raised. Yvonne tweaked my curiosity last year, so I have sinced contacted my niece and nephew, who still live in that area. So I found out my family are part of the Umatilla Indians. Many of the smaller tribes have been collected into what they call Confederated tribes of ..... So if your not sure or are confused by a lack of information, but have a few clues that trickled down in your family, maybe Lara or I can help you get started looking.

We hope you enjoy the search. I will be posting whatever I find interesting, and we hope to see the contributions that you find. Happy hunting!

image.jpeg

12. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I'm not sure what tribe this man comes from, but I did think that as a young Indian maiden I would have thought this brave was of husband material. image.jpeg

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Love the turquoise color, its used in many of their jewelry.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

15. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been away from the computer for a few hours. Come back...and am pleasantly surprised by the wonderful responses here. The personal stories, pretty Cherokee morning song while I have my coffee, Oklahoma American Indian friend, Indian contribution of Symbols and beautiful turquoise jewelry, the handsome Indian gentleman wearing a Work of Art really, and Ina's actual photograph of her ancestors from the Umatilla Tribe.

Ina, you had a lot of courage to contact your long lost family members. Thank you, Yvonne, for tweaking her interest. Just look what impact you have when you reach out with a caring interest.

Here is some artwork painted on top of a drum and an original American Indian Artifact….

tdpdle7.jpg indianartifacts_02.jpg