American Dream: Brand New Car

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Frank Sanoica, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

During the fifties I bought an AmericaMotors station wagon new. In the sixties my wife was working and needed a dependable car. I bought five Volkswagens during the sixties, a new one every other year. In '79 I bought a new Buick. In the eighties and nineties I drove used cars? In 2000, my daughter bought a new Volkswagen Beatle, a yellow one. In 2004 she needed a larger car for her work. I helped her get the car she wanted a she gave me her VW which I drove until a few weeks ago when I sold it. I'm now driving a 2006 ford with a hundred and fifty-seven thousand miles on it. My son gave it to me. It belonged to my grandson but got a new Fiat 500 when he started college. My son also bought a new ford, so the car I got was in the way, taking up space. It will be my last car

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm definitely on my last car too @Bill Boggs....just wish it didn't have a note to go along with it. :) Hope you and your wife are feeling well now.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Unless I win the lottery or something, there will be no more new cars for me and, even if I were rich, I think I'd restore an old one rather than buy a new one. I'll probably stick with ones that I can afford to pay for outright, as it's getting harder to fit car payments into my budget.

Sheldon Scott and Bill Boggs like this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Ken Anderson we'd probably all been better off if we'd followed that policy even back when we were younger.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Registered

My wife is better. I am too but I run a fever every day. I se m to have an infection somewhere. My nurse is coming out in the morning to draw blood. They wanted me to come into the VA for blood work and X-rays but I told then, no. I didn't feel like it. They are overnighting me some steroids, thing my condition might be such that
    I need them to keep going. I don't know. I just want to feel better and feel like getting out of bed and doing something. Thanks for the thought.

Sheldon Scott and Babs Hunt like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    Mazda vehicles run forever, according to the folks who rate such things. They are built by FORD MOTOR CO., Mazda Division.
    Frank

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  7. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought the American dream was about unlimited opportunities but I'm just learning that those may include a brand new car as well. :) The thing is that I had virtually not been able to earn any real money until I was 35 when the wall came down. I never wanted a Diesel and I never wanted to buy a car on credit and so I did.
    So, the first brand new car (had a used Mazda 323 saloon before) which I was able to buy without taking out a loan was a red Mazda 323 station wagon in 1993. It turned out to be too small and too slow. So I bought a new Toyota Carina station wagon three years later, got bumped into four times from behind and from the side, but kept it for ten years before I bought a new Toyota Corolla Verso (3rd Generation) in 2006. It had to be a station wagon again but, ageing as I was, I also needed to sit higher. In 2012 I bought its successor Verso as probably my last new car which I still have. It has 43,000 miles on the clock now. Three years ago I crashed head-on into someone who'd disregarded the right of way but I had the car repaired and am now willing to use it until the next crash or for another 4-5 years if everything runs smoothly. Just bought new summer and winter tyres to manifest that.
    At my age and considering the trend towards E-mobility it doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me to buy another brand new car. Yet I'm always prepared to buy a used car in good condition if that's necessary, e.g. after another crash.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Frank Sanoica likes this.