Amazon Scam

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Shirley Martin, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't answer land line at all. On cell if I don't know number let it go to voicemail

2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

The scammers must be in Christmas holidays cause Ive not had a scam call in over a month ( I just checked the last call , cause I block any numbers that are scams ) allot of them leave messages on my voice mail that I’ve tried to get rid of on my mobile without success .

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The past 3 days I've been getting several calls per day claiming that an iPad has been charged to my Amazon account in the amount of $1,5xx.xx and to call back in order to stop it. Each call is from a different number, and each call has a spoofed Caller ID that's specific to the area code/exchange that my cell number is from, but where I no longer live...Macy's, the local health care system (but not the one where I now live), etc. None of these places in on my Contact List. I had let all the calls go to Voice Mail but picked up the most recent one when it said "INOVA Health Care System" (were I still 20, I'd know a health care system call to be illegit, dammit.) Every call is a recorded message telling me to Press One to discuss the charge. If I knew where to access a pay phone, I'd go there and call them back.

I have no idea where they got my cell#. I pay for a landline and reference that phone number everywhere that a number is required (grocery store discount cards, Amazon account, etc.) Since I established my cell account when living in Northern Virginia, and that region has 2,500,000 people in it, computer-dialing all possible 10,000 numbers for each area code and exchange is likely to yield a ton of legit hits (probably over 90%.) The same would be true of any metropolitan area.

Gee, I hope I got a good deal on that iPad. ;)

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Content removed; wasn't pertaining to Amazon scam. Sorry.

John Brunner likes this.