Amazon Prime Day Starts Soon

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have Redstone Arsenal here, as well as NASA, plus a lot of military retirees, so Huntsville is probably one of the most progressive cities in Alabama, even though it is not the largest.
    They just opened the Whole Foods Market here last November , so it is pretty new for us. It is not too far from where we live, and is on the way when we go to the fitness center; so we decided to stop by and check it out. After looking, we could see how it had the nickname of "whole paycheck market", and were astonished that chicken (which is usually areound $1-$2 per lb) was selling for $10 per lb.
    Most of the time, we do not see very many cars there, but they have a huge deli area, and apparently a lot of their business is people coming in for lunch, and taking home food after work.

2. Spencer Berrett

Registered

I was thinking Texas not Alabama :p BTW Kroger is called Frys Foods around here, I go there often. ;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Like @Spencer Berrett, I live in a small town, and we're seventy miles from a much larger town, so I buy a lot from Amazon so, even without Amazon Prime streaming, the account pays for itself easily.

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I buy buy books from Amazon, the kind you download, kindle books. I have bought harmonicasfrom them in past years, not much else. I have never participated in prime day.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Even if you do not participate in Prime Day, you can still save a lot on almost everything and have it delivered right to your doorstep by ordering it from Amazon. Most of the time, it is also tax free, so you save even more, even if it is the same price as (for example) going to Walmart.
    Plus , the selection is HUGE ! !
    You can usually find a lot more of any kind of item than you can at even the large stores.
    Amazon also sells refurbished items at great savings. We bought a Hamilton Beach BrewStation coffeemaker that sold new for about $65, and only paid about $24 for it as a refurbished/guaranteed one from Amazon. We have had it over two years, make several pots each day, and it works great still.
    For items that you use all the time, like paper towels and toilet paper, you can order in bulk and save, plus put it on what Amazon calls "Subscribe and Save" , and they send it out on a regular basis and it is even cheaper that way.

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm sure you're right but but for most things I still like the box stores.