Amazon Echo Dot, My New Gadget

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_0195.JPG

This is the reply from Siri to me...

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, have the Google Home and Chromecast hooked up now. Goggle Home is pretty unique and interesting. My wife loves it! It play all of our favorite music and we don't have to turn on any kind of CD player and put a CD in. We don't keep the microphones on on all the time........we turn it off when we go to bed and when we aren't home. The Chromecast is nice to watch YouTube music (bands) on, video clips of movies and movie reviews, but that's about it. We are getting a subscription to Netflix to make the Chromecast much more useful.

Both are nice to have.

3. Janet Elice

Janet Elice Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hey all, I need some of your input.

I'm getting feedback for a device that I want to help seniors with. Would you be able to help me? I just need some input on the following information--thank you so much:

It functions a lot like the Amazon Alexa @Cody Fousnaugh and others were talking about--but instead of answering general queries like, "What is 51x30?", it has information that's personally important: Pill reminders, list-making, a spelling application (for those of us who forget :)), a calendar, and brain games.

Yep, and it's all voice activated.

I'm not sure, what do you all think? Do you think the current features are useful? I got them from my own troubles and from seniors I've talked to over the forum!

Thanks so much.
    -Janet:p

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We have the Goggle Home. Actually, we don't use it nearly as much as we thought we would when bought. I think we got to overly excited about buying it.
    It's a neat thing, but may go to a relative as a Christmas gift.

5. Janet Elice

Registered

Interesting @Cody Fousnaugh . What about it drew you in to buy it in the first place then?

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Heard about the Amazon Dot and was interested in it. That was, until we found out the Goggle Home would have more things coming out that it could do and the speaker is much bigger. Look up the difference between the Goggle Home and Amazon Dot. Google Home is rated much higher. It does cost more. With the Google Home, we also bought Chromecast. It connects to the back of our tv and brings in Netflix, when subscribed to Netflix. We have stopped Netflix, but will get it back in a few months.

Janet Elice likes this.
  7. Janet Elice

Registered

Ahh, I see. So it was mainly the higher product rating and the functionality that drew you into these voice-based assistants, with Google winning over? Correct me if I'm wrong--but, that makes sense.

Thanks so much for sharing @Cody Fousnaugh -- I appreciate your response. This is why this form is a great community! I'm open to hearing whatever anyone else has to say about these devices.

Janet:)

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I remember @Ina I. Wonder telling us that she now has an Amazon Echo (or Echo Dot ? ) that she got on Prime Day. I thought this thread might be a good place to check back in with that and see how it is going; so , Ina, tell us how you like your new Echo and what all you are doing with it.
    I know you said that you wanted to play more of a variety of music and not run down the battery on your iPad or iPhone; and the Echo should be the perfect solution for having a wonderful variety of music, ot having just what you want to listen to.
    Did you get speakers to hook it up with, or are you using headphones ? Ours is connected with the home stereo system; but I think that if I wanted to use a bluetooth speaker, it would be even more portable if I wanted to move it around.

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

It sounds like a small Trojan horse. It might be useful for a handicapped person or someone who lives alone.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

HI @Yvonne Smith , So far I've only listened to a radio station. I'm still scared ot it at this point, and this thread hasn't helped me me get over that fear. :confused: