Amazon Echo Dot, My New Gadget

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When my daughter came over this weekend for the eventful trip to the emergency room, she also brought us a new gadget. Since Robin is the epitome of a Gadget Girl, she usually at least knows about all of the new gadgets, even if she doesn't have all of them (yet).
    So, maybe you are wondering what an Echo Do is........ well, I am glad you asked ! It is a little round box that talks with you. Even more than that, it answers questions, tells you the news and weather, who is winning the election, and even plays music.
    Alexa is Amazon's answer to SIRI, but instead of activating her through your iPhone, she has her own little box that she lives in. When you talk to Alexa, she lights up with pretty colors on the top.
    Robin connected the box to our home stereo system, and now I can say things like , "Alexa, play Don Williams", and the stereo will start playing Don Williams songs until I say , "Alexa, stop."
    It also connects to my Pandora, Amazon Music, Spotify, and several other online radio services, and once you connect your account on the Echo Dot app, then you can just ask Alexa to play whatever you want from there, too.
    If you ask about the weather forecast, latest news, or things like that, then Alexa will give you that information as well.
    I have not actually explored what all she can do yet, but I do have to admit, it is a pretty interesting gadget !

http://www.pcmag.com/review/343443/amazon-echo-dot

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds interesting, can't decide whether its just a 'super' radio with a recorder
    When you learn more on it, let us know how you get on and what else it can do :)

Ina I. Wonder and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

It is not a radio, @Patsy Faye , it is more of a controller. You know how the TV boxes like Apple TV, or Amazon Fire TV, or Roku work to run the television, well this is kind of similar to that.
    I am such a non-techy kind of person, so I am not even sure if I am explaining it correctly, but what the Echo does is more like a bluetooth connector and when it is connected with my stereo, then it controls what the stereo plays.
    Since I have the Echo Dot app on the ipad, then that connects with my Pandora account and links it to the Echo.
    So instead of opening Pandora on the ipad and playing it with headphones, I can just ask Alexa to play Pandora, and it plays through the speakers on the stereo, kind of like it would when I connect the output from the iPad to the input on the stereo, except no connector cord is needed because it works like bluetooth.

Denise Evans likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh Yvonne you've lost me - if I had my way, I'd still be using a cassette recorder !
    Its all way beyond me, I'm surprised I picked up this computer ma larkey :p

Denise Evans and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I love gadgets;) I will look into this one @Yvonne Smith;) I try to get my sis to try some new gadgets, and right now she is writing me about getting a Roku;) I would love to see more folks get into Youtube, and alternate sources of news, just for one thing.

6. Yvonne Smith

Youtube is a great place for news, @Denise Happyfeet ! I have a whole list of people that I subscribe to on Youtube, both for news and for health information, as well as more low-carb recipes to try; so you can find just about everything on Youtube if you look there.
    I check the new videos that they put on my page, which always changes depending on what I have been researching, and it also shows new things from any of my subscribed channels as well.
    It also has videos I have watched recently, so if i had to stop partway through, I can just go back when I have time to finish watching it.
    At night, where I used to just waste my brain watching tv shows or movies, I now watch the longer youtube documentary types of videos that go for an hour or longer, so I am educating myself instead of just vegetating along.

Ina I. Wonder and Denise Evans like this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

I don't miss the commercials, that's for sure. And yes, I am also watching more of the documentaries. Don't want to get too far off your OP but also, youtube has many, full, length movies, or TV shows. Most of old movies/shows. I've watched almost every, one of the Jeremy Brett "Sherlock Holmes" programs, love the BBC shows. I also got turned onto the RightSide alternative news source, or actually, what they are doing now is covering all the Trump Rallies.

I still haven't checked out the new gadget, but what a wonderful gift to get from your daughter;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith Am I wrong in thinking Alexa can order you a pizza if you'd like? I think you might have to set it up in advance, but I thought I'd read that she could do things like that, as long as the information was pre-programmed, such as where to order from, how to pay, etc.

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

count me in on buying one if you can order pizza, and yes, I'm serious;)

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Ha ha, it's funny how that interests both of us @Denise Happyfeet. Here you go, this is probably the article I saw about having her order a pizza. That's from February, and I'm sure the uses have expanded by now, but the article explains a little more about how the system works.

Denise Evans likes this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

Thanks @Diane Lane LOL! Now this does mean the pizza pops out of the Alexa, hot and ready to eat??:D:p

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

I had to look that one up to see, and it does appear that the Amazon Echo can order pizza. What I have is the Echo Dot, but my understanding is that it is about the same thing minus the speaker, which comes built-in with the regular Echo.
    From what I read, you just set up your Domino's pizza profile and connect it with the Echo, and then you can ask Alexa to order for you, and also to check on the delivery status.
    If you have smart lights and appliances, you can also control those with the Echo, similar to Apple's new home system. We haven't tried any of that yet, and since we don't order pizza or have any smart appliances, it is not high on the list of priorities.

13. Yvonne Smith

So far, I have not done anything else but play music with the Echo, but I do kind of like it. When I want music, I say to Alexa to play whatever singer I want to listen to, like "Alexa, play Lobo", and then it will play songs by Lobo until I tell her to stop. If I don't like the song, I can say "next song", and it stops playing that song and goes to another one. I can ask her to turn the volume up or down, and when I don't want music, I just say "Alexa, stop".
    I know that it will do a lot more things than I am doing with it, but maybe not anything else that I am interested in doing. But it is very handy to play music.
    I think that she will also read books, but I will have to check that part out. I have never much cared for audio books, but I remember @Ina I. Wonder was talking about those because of her eyesight bothering her when she reads.

Diane Lane and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne..one of my colleagues brought his new Echo dot into work the other day, and sat it on my desk...and everytime I or anyone walked past my desk we were asking it questions all day...Alexa, what is 19.2 percent of 33.5 thousand...Alexa turn on Radio 4 and loads more ... ..and the one that made us laugh the most... Alexa, why did the chicken cross the road..(alexa\s answer)...''don't you think that's between the chicken and it's conscience? :D:D:D:D:D

15. Debbie Seattle

Debbie Seattle Veteran Member
    Registered

Bought the Echo Dot and love it! I have a Bluetooth speaker in our kitchen and was using my iPhone to stream music but was running down the battery etc. With the Echo dot, I just tell it to play Christmas classics or even a radio station and it plays. It has a kitchen timer on it and love that, in fact, can set up multiple timers with it. Can ask the weather, news, just about anything. I'm keeping my commands simple at this point instead of making life difficult for myself trying to remember all the commands. Fortunately, I came across this when $10 was knocked off. Highly recommend it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.