Amazon Clinic

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Did you know that Amazon has a clinic now? It does, available in 33 states. It has a virtual clinic, or rather, separate clinics depending on conditions. However, it does not accept insurance. Rather, it's a flat fee. -- Amazon Clinic

Denise Evans and Thomas Windom like this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Chances are for us seniors that we would get better ideas on treatment right here on SOC. Not that our members (that are retired medical professionals) would give a diagnosis because of legal and ethical reasons, but because all our varied experiences with various maladies might lead to one finding an answer and then deciding if in-person medical advice from a professional, might be worth seeking.

If you look at the categories the Amazon Clinic gives diagnosis or advice, the same info can be researched by anyone using the internet. The only advantage is that this clinic can prescribe medication.

I question what they could offer for GERD for example. Without certain tests being done, how could they accurately prescribe a medication or if one was even necessary? Perhaps surgery might be a consideration. How are they going to make a diagnosis without a blood test and other lab work?

Most of these online clinics are run by people with minimal medical training that use a database to set up your diagnosis and then a nurse practitioner reviews that plan and prescribes medication or suggests you see a doctor in person. That NP can sit at home and "see" 20 or more patients an hour. If the NP gets $25 of the $50 charge, then that is $500 an hour for 20 patients. Good money for "they" not even having to shower or put on a bra. They could be on their fourth margarita, who would know?

Much like calling about your internet cable having issues. Some person just uses what their computer tells them to tell you and if they can't resolve the problem, then they have the company send out a technician.

A good example is a friend that couldn't get her washing machine to even light up the panel. It was dead. She called one of the online services that charge $25 to listen to a robotic technician. She called me whining about attempted robotic rape and I said to unplug the damn thing, let it set for a minute, and then plug it in. It is computer controlled and just needs rebooting. It worked and it only cost her $15 to take me to lunch.

I think all these online medical clinics unless between medical professionals as consultations, will be the downfall of quality medical care.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That was plastered all across their homepage yesterday. I didn't even read it; not interested.

Don Alaska, Leigh Petty and Faye Fox like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

"Add 2 More Diseases To Your Cart And Shipping Is Free!"

I really don't want the contract delivery person knocking on my door with a stethoscope around her neck, a glove on one hand, and The Garmin Guide To Anatomy on her phone.

Don Alaska and Leigh Petty like this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

It will make it easier for the WHO to keep tabs on us.

Don Alaska, Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Yup. Now that a generation is used to their friends, education and entertainment all existing on screens, they are being sold on discussing their mental health issues with a "virtual doctor" over who-knows-how-many internet server hops. That's hardly a private closed-door session.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Right on Faye. Plus we have YouTzube and the web. And of course our doctors if we need them.
    Doctors are really busy now with treating the world so bless their hearts and ours, harder to see. So we have to find alternatives to in clinic visits.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Not that I'm in favor of Amazon getting involved in our health and wellness, but I could see using them for things that I know that I need, such as Levothyroxine, but need a doctor to sign off on. Pretty much everything else that I get from seeing a doctor, unless I injure myself or something new comes. up, are things that I either disagree with or are otherwise insignificant, so I could see having an Amazon doctor write the prescription and Amazon fulfill it. Since I can't get my own doctor to write a prescription for more than thirty days at a time, I wonder if I could get Amazon to write a prescription and fill it, on top of my own. That sounds like it might be illegal, or certainly would be if it involved something like Oxycontin, but I don't know that Levothyroxine is a commonly abused drug.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I don;t take meds much, just 1x4 aspirin for stents the liars stuck in me. Now and then Amalopine for HB a couple times a month if its high I take half 5 mg.
    Never took anything for diabetes for last 15 yrs or longer diabetes.
    I thought today I was kicking ther bucket, but it was on a walk, like I'd like to go if its time. With hubby beside me. I would worry about him though being alone.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

At this point, I would like to just live out my life, as is, too. I am not going to a hospital for stuff. I can change my diet and get excercise. A heart issue would be my preferred way to go. If my blood pressure goes up, I change something.
    I think hubby would not have a clue what to do, as I take care of most everything. I have approached daughter about things but she is not taking the challenge yet. This sure is an interesting time in our lives.

11. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

News to me and I've been a Prime member a few years now. I do watch most of my shows on Prime, and able to find enough I don't need to pay for "other" internet movie/tv apps like Hallmark, Acorn, BBC. Used to get a bit carried away until Amazon upped their Free to Me movies and TV. I don't watch much "TV" anymore at all, maybe at the most 2 hours some evenings. Usually I have it set to youtube all day with my fave Ambience videos.

Back to the clinic thing, I imagine you need a Prime account for that as well, but if they don't take insurance it wouldn't work for me. I think our health system is going to end up all video appointments, atleast in areas like where I'm living, so not a surprise that Amazon is scooping up more riches to fund ole Jeff's space-travel:p:rolleyes:

John Houlihan likes this.