Amazon Changes Policy After Stepping In Pc Mess

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I honestly think this was a legitimate business decision, based on the number of orders from Roxbury, versus other sections of the city (Boston), but of course it had to be turned into a discrimination issue. I can see how irritating it would be for those in Roxbury to see their neighbors just outside the area receiving same day delivery service, but will they be willing to pay overall higher costs that serving their neighborhood will end up incurring?

The mayor and others stepping in and basically shaming Amazon into providing these services is wrong, in my opinion. Amazon is a private, for profit company, and has the right to decide where to offer specific services that are in demand enough to warrant them, the same way brick and mortar stores have the right to decide where to build their stores or rent sites, based on sales projections.

Here's the article in question: http://www.bostonherald.com/business/technology/2016/04/amazon_reverses_roxbury_bungle

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't see anyone protesting that I have to wait a couple of days or more for delivery since, even such things as second-day delivery doesn't seem to apply to Millinocket, and I'll bet I'm paying the same amount of money for Amazon Prime. If I complain that it took longer than two days, Amazon.com does give me stuff in compensation. My wife does that all the time, but I don't feel comfortable doing that when I didn't really need it in a hurry anyhow. Companies try new things out all the time on selected parts of the country, such as their drone delivery service, and the included area has to stop somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Diane Lane likes this.
  3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, all I can say is that Amazon's delivery processes vary widely. Not so much them but the subsidiaries they allow to use and sell on their website. I bought these dining room chair covers recently, that came with free shipping, so I got all excited, but I knew there was going to be a delay. So, anyway, I have been waiting like a month for these covers and they were shipped along time ago. Supposedly, UPS has them..but when I put in the tracking number I get a no information is available. I guess they are stuffed in a warehouse. It also says ontime delivery, but why ship these covers and let them sit in a warehouse somewhere? I think they came from somewhere in the US not China. Sigh!

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had an odd thing happen with my last order that I made from Amazon.com. It was supposed to have arrived on April 27. When it didn't, I used the tracking link and it had last been checked in at Presque Isle, Maine, which is always where it is the day before it arrives here. Then when it didn't arrive the next day, I checked again and it said that it was in Ohio. I'm not sure what happened but it came this morning.

K E Gordon likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm thinking perhaps the widespread weather issues could be responsible for both? There's been a lot of stormy weather throughout much of the US, as well as of course the severe flooding, so maybe the packages are stuck sitting somewhere, or (hopefully not) were lost? We had issues with several 18-wheelers here, even up to yesterday or the day before, and there are more storms in the forecast. I shipped two packages the week of the severest weather, and was surprised when both made it to their destinations on time. I've had issues in the past, particularly during the winter months.