Amazon Changed Their Rules For Sellers And Reviewers

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Absolutely agree with the above and don't doubt for one minute that you would give an honest review, because I have
    come to know you. I give reviews too - its important to let people know if the consistency is runny, if it has a potent smell
    (which I wouldn't like) things like that.
    :)

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I always read at least some of the reviews, and have found that they are often accurate. When I have a problem with something that I have bought on Amazon, it is almost a given that someone else has had a similar problem. I hate putting complicated things together so when I find that several people have complained about the instructions being unclear or of difficulty assembling a product, I am not so apt to buy it. When one person has such a complaint, I might consider that he was an idiot but when several people have had a problem with it, I pay attention. I have also found that many of the reviewers will supply hints to putting something together that were not made clear in the enclosed instructions, and I've gone back to them as well.

I might look at them, but I don't pay a lot of attention to people who rate something as one-star unless there are a whole lot of people doing that, because I seldom find their reviews to be helpful, and often their problem has nothing to do with the product itself, but that they are angry because it didn't arrive on time, or because UPS delivered it to the wrong address, or some other irrelevant thing. A lot of five-star ratings might impress me, but I also consider that many of these have been bought and paid for.

So yeah, I appreciate and use the ratings but I no more count on them than I do the advertising blurb that is included with every product.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Just like everything else I think it just got out of control and some people took advantage.

Just like on Yelp, you see a place that has great reviews then there's one that really puts it down and you know
    That person took something personally.

There is bias in reviews also. When I see a book that's not by a famous author and has only a few reviews and they are great reviews I bet it's the person's family or friends writing that.

I hope @Yvonne Smith you didn't think that I suggested your reviews weren't honest because that's not the case.

You are one of the most honest people I know and I hope you continue, honest reviews are important.

I remember buying something years ago and didn't read reviews and it was crap, when I did look at the reviews I saw that everyone said it was crap an had the same issues I did. Should have read those reviews before buying. :)

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I usually read the reviews on Amazon prior to purchase, but I wonder how many of them are good. I try to stick to the reviews that say verfified purchase, because you never know. Sometimes even good reviews can lead you astray though. I bought a slip cover for a recliner, and I am pretty sure I read a review first, but when it came it was only big enough to cover the back of the chair..so that was defintely disappointing!

5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken and Chrissy have already said what I would have typed, and as with reviews, I'm not going to bother to say the same thing others have. I do read reviews on Amazon before purchasing, and never rely on just one review. I was livid when I found out that people and companies were purchasing reviews on Fiverr and other similar sites. I don't have a penny to waste, and if I buy something based on a fake, inaccurate review and the product is crap, that means I have less money for food, utilities, or to re-purchase that item elsewhere after tossing the piece of crap in the trash. I don't have a problem with people getting discounted or even free items for legitimate reviews. PinchMe is a site I receive some freebies from in return for leaving reviews, and their review process asks if you've purchased or plan to purchase the item, which I think is a good way to give information to those reading the reviews.