Amazing 87 Mile Cave In Viet Nam!

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Yvonne Smith, May 16, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This video is an aerial trip through this amazing cave in Viet Nam. The cave was only recently discovered, and it goes deep into the mountainside.
    In places, the water has worn through the mountain, leaving the cave open to the sky. Birds and even other animals live inside the cave, and trees and other greenery is everywhere in places where the sky is visible.

It would be awesome to take a trip inside the cave; but probably not for most of us oldsters, since in some places they have to rapel down the sides of the caves, and crawl over huge rocks with nothing except your head-lamp flashlight to show you where you are going.
    This is just a short video taken with a drone; but there are several longer ones on youtube that show even more about what the inside of the cave looks like.

Ike Willis and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That's spectacular.

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith Wonderful! Caves have always so fascinated me that one incident relating to them nearly cost me more than just serious burns. My friend and I began digging our own cave in a steep hillside on my folks' property in Michigan. Going was very difficult, heavy yellow clay, very hard. I contrived to try blasting powder, a batch of which inflamed while I was mixing it, no explosion, just exceedingly fast flash of heat, 2nd. degree burns on my face and the hand doing the mixing. Burns healed in time, mental scarring did not. Incident happened Fall of 8th. Grade Year, I was 14.

Still love caves! Frank

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I love caves....thanks for that Yvonne, it looks stunning ..however wiki says that it's only 5 miles long and not 87....and if you want to visit it , it will cost $3,000 dollars, so I think I'll stick with the video... :D

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I am not sure why the discrepancy in describing the size/length of the cave, @Holly Saunders . Some of the websites that talk about the cave said it was only 2.5 miles, even shorter. It must be that they are referring to different parts or areas within the whole cave, which is suppposed to be the 87 miles in length.
    Here is another website that gives a little more about the history of discovering the cave by a local farmer. You can see that from the outside, the entrance is not very large or impressive, and would be easily mised, especially in an overgrown jungle environment like this.

http://www.realfarmacy.com/farmer-hole-rock-inside-cave-stunned-world/

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.