Am I Ok?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Never before have I considered this: am I safe to be alone? My wife will leave Sunday for Indiana. This will place me away from anyone who could be called upon, for whatever reason. 911 will be available, of course.

What condition am I in, physically? Always thought pretty good. Our pool, actually more a kiddie-pool, is to small to actually swim in, though my wife does so by swimming in a circle; I sink like a stone, always have. So I do "leg-kicks", holding my body by hands on the bottom. Pulse rate resting was 60, 200 kicks later, breathing a bit quicker, pulse 70. Back to ~60 in less than 5 minutes. I regard that as good.

But is a 76 year old man safe alone? Closest neighbor is hundreds of feet away, don't even know their name, next street over, in a brand new home. I shall be happily isolated for 3 weeks, beginning Sunday! LOL (Lots Of Luck) Frank

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

acccch you'll be more than fine.. I love it when my husband is away on business...Bliss!!!

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No one is ever completely safe, I suppose, alone or otherwise. But if you haven't had any occasions to need anyone to rescue you in the past, the chances are pretty good that you won't while your wife is gone either. Keep your phone nearby and you should be fine. When my wife leaves, I refer to it as a vacation.

4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    For you......or for her?

Maryt Hope and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Frank, you gotta take life as it is. I don't want my wife to come home and find me dead, but I don't fret about it either. I don't do dangerous things while she's gone (usually), but normal activities are what they are. I have seen people die quickly at 37, and I have seen old folks function fine well over 100. One case I saw years ago was a 7-year old who dropped dead suddenly for no apparent reason. Life is not something you can take for granted at any age, but don't restrict yourself too much, and keep your cell phone accessible if you need help.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Probably both.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica ....you will be fine...but do take your phone every where ...just incase you should fall. Falling does become an issue in our older days.
    :)

8. Nathaniel Roswell

Nathaniel Roswell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Frank! I think you will be fine as long as you have your phone with you. Just don't do some dangerous stuff while she is away.

Maryt Hope and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Nathaniel Roswell likes this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Stay out of the pool, Frank. You will be fine. I'm worried for your neighbors.[​IMG]

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Guess I don't, and probably never will, understand those that like it when there spouse is gone or kid about it. Obviously a different types of marriage, I guess.

Only time wife and I are not together is during the week when she is at work. Other than that, always together, shopping or whatever. Only been twice in 18 years, that we've been apart overnight and both times were for surgeries each of us had. But, we were both right there at the bedside of the other each morning when Visitor Hours began.

As for either of us, at that age, 76, we would never leave the other alone for any reason, except for a hospital stay at night. One thing that really drew us together is that we are both "clingy". Just don't need our separate spaces, except the mandatory space during the work week. Other than that...…...together.

12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Except for the fact that she's gone for about 8 hrs a day....that's not 24/7

That gives you plenty of space.

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

True, but once she quits her job and we move to northern Colorado, that will end. She says she would like to get a part-time job in Ft Collins, but definitely not work during the winter months. Anyway, she is also a writer and writes Prayer Books and I'll do photography of wildlife and scenery.

14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Great.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Perhaps there might be a position available for both of you.
    Experimentation regarding a possible mars colony has been going on for some time. They lock 2 people or more in an environment to see how well people get along after a few months with no other outside activity. No phone, no pets, no motor car, not a single luxury.............just each other and so much to talk about.

Imagine, the two of you occupying a large chamber in which being togeather 24/7 is a stark reality.
    Ah yes, marital bliss at it’s best !
    uh......not.