Alex Murdaugh Murder Trial

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Beth Gallagher, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think the fact that they let so much of the financial stuff in on the murder trial will prove to be at least a part of the basis for appeal.

Faye Fox likes this.
  2. Susan D'Alessandro

Registered

I just heard the lawyer that represents those clients and it still will happen however he's hoping AM will just plead guilty and not go through another prolonged court session. And he even said he wasn't going to use the word "alleged" because there is no question about what he did financially.

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I
    I think the civil suits will go forth if Murdaugh has any money or property left after his defense attorneys take their outrageous fees. I think the criminal financial charges may be dropped if he gets life in prison without parole.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Susan D'Alessandro

Registered

Did you hear them ask for a mistrial?

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Susan D'Alessandro

Registered

I was surprised at AM's reaction when the verdicts were read. Were you?

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not a mistrial, but an appeal, which would be filed later.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

But all that was allowed in to provide motive, so I don't believe it will be an issue in the appeals. Guess we'll find out.

Susan D'Alessandro and Faye Fox like this.
  8. Susan D'Alessandro

Registered

Right, I was surprised at how quick the judge turned down the mistrial and twice said things like "abundance of evidence". I bet defense will try something along the lines of not having an unbiased jury, don't know what grounds for appeal are.

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Since Murdaugh took the stand against his attornies best advice and always got into long explanations when asked simple questions related to finances, etc., I don't think he has any valid grounds for appeal. He introduced things that might have been used as a basis for appeal had the prosecution introduced them grasping at straws. An example is he told the first cop on the scene about the Paul boating situation trying to give the idea that Paul had enemies that must have killed him. Had he never mentioned it and the AG was first to bring it up and the judge allowed it, then maybe that might be grounds.

That opened the door for the AT to use that as a motive and tie in how it was the thing that Alex feared would finish him off. It shot down the loving tight-knit family image that Alex tried to portray.

I think if the defense attorneys are half as smart as they think they are, they will walk away from this and start distancing themselves from Murdaugh. They simply cannot win on an appeal and certainly have no respect among Alex's former law firm which is now liable for getting money back to those Alex swindled through the firm.

When the prosecution, judge, and jury were convinced without any doubt AM killed his wife and son, and the community for the largest part believes he did, then I doubt any attorney would want to appeal the case since Murdaugh has to be flat broke and any securities or property he may have is no doubt tied up in a legal mess.

Murdaugh gambled and lost and has no valid appeal. His lack of emotion at the verdict said it all. You cannot introduce anything new on an appeal, so I think everything was completely hashed out over the last 6 weeks and nothing left to appeal. He won't have national live coverage on an appeal, so I doubt his attornies have anything to gain, just more criticism for their introducing a ludicrous two-shooter theory that had no validity whatsoever.

Susan D'Alessandro likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Oh, there will be appeals. That man's ego knows no bounds, and the rest of his family appear to be cut from the same cloth. His defense attorney has represented them during the boat mess when the son was charged. I'd really like to know what will happen in that case now.

Happy to hear that he got two life sentences.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I wondered why there wasn't a change of venue, but I guess Murdaugh thought his family wielded enough power in that county to win.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Now he can run his scams in prison. If his defense attorney helps him with an appeal, then I think his attorney may be involved in some of his scams. He didn't ask for a change of venue because, with his great-grandpa's portrait in the courthouse, he thought his legacy would play out in his favor. The judge had that portrait removed before the trial. I wonder what Buster really knows?

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I just wonder what happened to all the money he stole. No one will ever convince me that he spent $10 million on oxycontin. I read that there is a sale pending on the Moselle property though I can't imagine why anyone would want it.

Also, I saw that charges have been brought against that banker who helped him set up those fraudulent investment accounts. Things are finally catching up with the "good ole' boys."

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Alex Murdaugh's defense team says it will file an appeal of his murder conviction on the basis that he admitted to financial crimes that influenced the jury.

One of his attorneys says they are ready to go to the Supreme Court because the prosecution and judge violated his rights covered under the 5th amendment by playing the kennels video where three voices were heard, the key factor in his conviction.

I think his attorneys are filing these appeals because of ego and reputation and can't stand the fact they were outsmarted by the prosecuting team. Since all of Murdaugh's assets are frozen, I can't see them doing it for money.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    Susan D'Alessandro likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The fact is, those financial charges alone will put him away for the rest of his life, so they can waste all the time and money on appeals that they want. He'll be wearing orange from now on. Besides the fact that the prosecution's basis for motive was the financial stuff, so I don't see that appeal going very far.

Faye Fox likes this.